Yeast washing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cjgenever

Reaction score
Why isn't anyone actually washing their yeast? I pulled a half gallon of slurry off my primary last night. Decanted off the trub, and put it in a ~6ph starsan solution. This should mimic storing in beer without the possible yeast food. I'm going to experiment with this.

I realize that actual washing occurs at 2.5-3 ph, so take it easy beer nerds:) it just seems to me that this is safer than using boiled water like I always have. Although that has always worked for me. I just like thinking of the possibilities.

Input?

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Home Brew mobile app

For longer storage this might work better. I've washed yeast using nothing but bottled distilled water, sanitized jars and new canning lids and stored for 3-4 months and had no problems whatsoever.

Although I've never had an issue with infection while rinsing yeast I thought this might reduce the risk. The debate on storing under beer or water led me to this. It may reduce viability, but I don't expect much. I'll report after my next brew.

The problem here is the detergent. It breaks down the yeasts cell wall allowing for the acid to destroy the cell. Washing with starsan equates to instant yeast autolization.

It was cool to see though. The yeast would not mix with the water after having their insides on the outside. The slurry would instantly fall from suspension.

I've committed mass genocide in the name of half ass science =-O

FWIW

I used a half solution (ph 5-6) for this experiment. The yeast batted for about one hour before rinsing. All seem dead. Starsan rocks!

FWIW
I used a half solution (ph 5-6) for this experiment. The yeast batted for about one hour before rinsing. All seem dead. Starsan rocks!

Latest posts

Back