Yeast washing - sediment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mucdab99

Reaction score
So I've been washing yeast for about 6 months and had pretty good luck with it all in all. The latest batch I harvested has some strange sedimentation layers going on after sitting about a week and I'm just looking for someone more experienced to weigh in on what could be going on.

I assume that top later is some trub mixed in with yeast. My question is whether or not it is okay to let that trub sit there until I am ready to use the yeast at which time I could scoop it out and only pitch the creamy white layer. Fwiw I have had a little more trub in my fermenters lately and it is obviously ending up in my mason jars.

If it is detrimental, I can scoop it out/decant it now.

I appreciate anyone's advice and help on this!

Dave

image.jpg

You can pour it out then put some boiled/cooled water over it. I don't think it will really hurt anything if you leave it. There are lots of people here who just scoop out the yeast cake and store that without washing at all. I have done it and if the beer styles are similar, than it should work no problem. Now I harvest out of the starter and skip washing when I can.. I once had a washed sample that settled like that and I found that siphoning off the top instead of trying to pour the grub out was more effective in separating the layers and keeping yeast. Food for thought

Back