Yeast washing is worth the effort

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sivispacemparabe11um

Reaction score
I tried yeast washing for the first time, it was pretty simple. I split the yeast into three jars. I pitchd one of the jars into a new batch of beer withoutusing a starter and that airlock is Rockin and Rollin. Anybody thinking about doing it should try it. It was a pretty easy process.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/photo/first-try-at-yeast-washing-60830.html

Re-using yeast is one of the fastest ways to save $$. $7 - $9 for a package of liquid yeast or re-use for $0.

What method did you use to wash? The liquid on the top in the pictures looks awfully dark..

I freeze yeast for later use. When I get a new strain, I make a starter larger than needed then to a 20ml vial I add 5ml glycerine, 5ml yeast and 10ml water. Chill overnight in the refrigerator then shake to mix well then into the freezer. I now have 10 or so strains and have used vials stored for more than a year and a half.

Re-using yeast is one of the fastest ways to save $$. $7 - $9 for a package of liquid yeast or re-use for $0.

What method did you use to wash? The liquid on the top in the pictures looks awfully dark..

I freeze yeast for later use. When I get a new strain, I make a starter larger than needed then to a 20ml vial I add 5ml glycerine, 5ml yeast and 10ml water. Chill overnight in the refrigerator then shake to mix well then into the freezer. I now have 10 or so strains and have used vials stored for more than a year and a half.

I used water to wash it.. I only washed it once. I guess i could wash it again and it would be more clear.

I did a yeast washing video a couple years ago. the process is simple. [ame]http://youtu.be/jS5Cqm_q9lk[/ame]

Looks good. The yeast layer does look clean.

I was just wondering. looking at the dark liquid if you might have just split the cake into jars. That is also a fine way to re-use yeast.

I used pretty much the exact process that Enohcs used in his video. The only difference is I probably didnt syphon out as much beer from my fermenter, leaving more of the dark beer color behind.

That explains the color, less water and more of the original beer. Regardless; re-using yeast in any method will save $$ I have repitched, washed and froze yeast for more use out of the original purchase.

Thanks for posting this guys, I have been thinking about washing yeast for a while, doesn't look hard at all, dunno why I haven't done it sooner.

My friends used to say why bother its cheap enough to just buy new yeast. Until they got drunk on brew day and froze their yeast and came running to me for some DME and some washed wyeast 1028 I had stored. Now it makes sense to them

Back