Yeast Washing Advice?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CaptainArgo

Reaction score
So, I just finished bottling my first beer :ban: :rockin:

Now, however, I'd love to save some of that lovely saison yeast I spent my dollars on. Online when I saw examples of people doing this, after they poured water into the yeast and shook it up, it settled into very definite layers, with a noticeably "fluffy"-looking yeast layer on top.

Mine is not doing this. However, I am unsure if it is because I strained the trub out before putting it in the fermenter, or because I haven't added enough water to the bottle I'm using to wash it. Do you need to add very much water? I figured I wouldn't have as much gunk because of the straining, but I figured I'd at least see an obvious layer of proteins and other sediment.

Not that long, just a few minutes. It seemed like it didn't take that long on the videos, lol.
Should I let it settle for 20 minutes or so? More?

Don't sweat it if you don't get clearly defined layers of different shades. It won't always do that. When you go to reuse it, simply decant the clear liquid off the top and use what's left.

Thanks everyone -- a little bit of patience fixed the "problem", hahaha. And I did use jars that had been through the sanitizing cycle and boiled my washing water beforehand (I let it cool, of course!) :)

If I did somehow infect my yeast, though, assuming I didn't immediately re-pitch it into something else, would I be able to tell by sight or smell whether it was infected if I used it, say, a month later?

Latest posts

Back