Yeast viability at the bottom of a blowoff container...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IrocChris

Reaction score
Can I harvest and then wash yeast that ends up at the bottom of a blowoff container filled with starsan? My London III went crazy and there's quite a bit at the bottom. I'm only 3 days post pitch so it hasn't been sitting long.

Harvest the yeast. When yeast is acid washed the pH of the phosphoric acid is 2.0 to 2.5. Star San solution is near to just above pH 3.0. Check the viability of the yeast in a few days with a small vitality starter.

Cover the harvested yeast with a cheap beer for storage. Beer is better than distilled water for storage.

Not without a set up to harvest it. You need two vessels for blow off. The first in line from the fermentor is fitted with two holes. One is yeast in, the second is gas out. Then you run the gas out line to a vessel with liquid in it. The yeast blows off, Travels down your tube to the collection vessel, the gas out is above the yeast level and allows pressure to escape into the airlock vessel on the back side.

Back