Yeast strains that do well with higher temps (70F+)?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TripleC223

Reaction score
My current fermentation setup is without a cooling element, and spring/summer are approaching. Since I'd rather not brew saisons exclusively for the next several months, does anyone have suggestions for other yeasts that do well with higher temperatures?

I like to brew a variety of styles, so while I know some Belgian, hefe and saison strains can do well at higher temps, I'll take suggestions for other styles too. Any reliable "neutral" strain (US-05?) that can take the heat would be valuable.

At the peak of summer, the room where I put my fermenters can get into the 70-degree range (maybe even higher, depending). I have an Inkbird and a FermWrap, so I can ferment at warmer temps pretty steadily, but I don't have any way to cool down a runaway ferment. I know there are makeshift solutions like a swamp cooler, etc., but that's not practical for me at this point.

The Yeast Bay Voss Kviek... I personally have brewed it as high as 100 degrees. No off flavors. That yeast has a pretty neutral yeast character and it worked well when I used it for a few saisons, brown ale, and a black IPA.

At the peak of summer, the room where I put my fermenters can get into the 70-degree range

So that's not terrible - I'm pretty similar, I get maybe 6 weeks in a typical summer where the coldest part of the house gets into the mid 70's - and that's fine, I only brew once a month at most, and one saison a year makes a nice change. I'm definitely planning to try some of the Norwegian yeasts this year though, like Hothead and Sigmund's Voss.

If you're looking for something more left-field, WLP025 is relatively heat tolerant, and WLP026 is interesting as a POF- saison yeast, I want to have a play with that.

I've brewed many batches with a damp beach towel wrapped around my fermenter with a fan. I've used iced liter bottles in a swamp cooler. Many ways to use what you want without a fridge.

This approach is probably what you need to consider. The cooling doesn't have to be for a long period, 3 or 4 days should be sufficient and with your house temperature in the 70's it shouldn't be hard to keep the beer 10 degrees cooler for that long. One fermentation slows the beer can be in the 70's without off flavors and may do better that much warmer.

For dry, Belle Saison is great at up to 30c.
Any Kveik strain will do well at high temps, as most of them are pitched arlt 29-30c.
Voss kveik can go up to 40c without problems.

I've read that the mauribrew 514 was designed to be very heat tolerant, it is for the Australian market originally. And it gets a bit warmer down there :D

Any Kveik yeast strain
SafAle US-05
SafAle T-58
SafAle WB-06 ( var. diastaticus )
SafAle BE-134 ( var. diastaticus )
Danstar Abbaye
Danstar Belle Saison ( var. diastaticus )

Any Belgian yeast strain and some english strains.

Since you would rather not brew Belgians, there are fewer choices. I don't agree that all Belgians are fine in a 70+ ambient temperature fermentation. Many of them are. It also depends on how cold you can chill your wort before pitching. How cold can you chill near the end of the summer?

wy1318 works well in the 70-75F range and can be fairly neutral if you pitch a lot of yeast and use O2.

Omega Hot Head does very well in the 80s. It's not quite a neutral yeast, but it isn't a typical clove and banana yeast either. Definatly worth trying and don't be afraid to pitch at 80F.

Omega Bit o Funk does well in the 75-80F range. It isn't neutral. It produces mango type flavors. It takes about 3 weeks to finish and doesn't clear well. Good yeast blend though.

I've used wy1728 in the 70-75F range with good results and a little banana.

I don't agree us-05 or wy1272 are good to use in the 75-80F range. They can produce more fusels (headaches, hangovers, dry mouth) than I'm willing to tolerate.

Last edited:
Sacc trois works well in the 70’s. Brewed an ipa last summer with Imperial Organic’s version (A20 citrus), let it go at room temp and it was great. Tropical fruity esters, so it may not work with dark or malty beers, but clean and nice for pale hoppy beers.

Sacc trois works well in the 70’s. Brewed an ipa last summer with Imperial Organic’s version (A20 citrus), let it go at room temp and it was great. Tropical fruity esters, so it may not work with dark or malty beers, but clean and nice for pale hoppy beers.

Agree. Sacc Trois is in the Omega Bit o Funk blend I previously mentioned. BoF adds some microbes that expedite and enhance fermentation. Both are better than White Labs unless they increased their cell counts.

I've read about the A20 yeast and want to try it. I see that it was formerly classified as a brett strain, but is now a sacc. Is there any Brett in it? I'd rather not inoculate my current equipment unknowingly.

Latest posts

Back