Yeast Starters

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

delcosansgluten

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Does anyone harvest and reuse yeast? The process looks straightforward except for one part. The Dry Malt Extract addition always seems glutenous and I havent found anything to suggest a GF DME exists. Does anyone use yeast starters? if so, what DME do you go with?

Does anyone harvest and reuse yeast? The process looks straightforward except for one part. The Dry Malt Extract addition always seems glutenous and I havent found anything to suggest a GF DME exists. Does anyone use yeast starters? if so, what DME do you go with?
Viking Malts has on their website they offer Gluten Free Malt Extracts though I haven't dug very deep into that. There are also additives out there that are supposed to decrease the amount of gluten in your wort/fermented beer that you may consider adding to a starter (Clarity Ferm by White Labs is the first brand name that comes to mind).

Viking Malts has on their website they offer Gluten Free Malt Extracts though I haven't dug very deep into that. There are also additives out there that are supposed to decrease the amount of gluten in your wort/fermented beer that you may consider adding to a starter (Clarity Ferm by White Labs is the first brand name that comes to mind).
These are gluten reduced and not gluten free! My advice is anyone that even thinks they have a reaction to gluten, to stay away from gluten reduced. Breaking up the gluten chains like Clarity Ferm does, does not necessarily eliminate the autoimmune response.

I don't harvest and propagate yeast because it is so easy to just get and use the dry yeast, but I think others do. Zero Tolerance has a section on yest cultivation which may be of use.
Yeast - Zero Tolerance Gluten Free Homebrew Club
My guess is you could use sorghum syrup for propagation. If you do all grain, you might even be able to save some wart out to propagate yeast later. Don't know why that wouldn't work.

Here is one reference:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads/culturing-liquid-yeast-to-be-gf.659923/Post #10 by Legume. Have not seen Legume in a long time. Some use that process with sorghum syrup to be able to use popular liquid yeasts and culture them away from the barley based media that contains gluten. Several batches and good washing and there can't be much left in there at all. It would have to be parts per billion. If you start out with dry yeast that is not cultured on gluten media then you are good to go from the beginning.

Here is one reference:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads/culturing-liquid-yeast-to-be-gf.659923/Post #10 by Legume. Have not seen Legume in a long time. Some use that process with sorghum syrup to be able to use popular liquid yeasts and culture them away from the barley based media that contains gluten. Several batches and good washing and there can't be much left in there at all. It would have to be parts per billion. If you start out with dry yeast that is not cultured on gluten media then you are good to go from the beginning.
Thanks Chris!

Back