Yeast starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lambo1274

Reaction score
So I get the my next kit from UPS today. I am mentally preparing myself for the fact that I will have to make a yeast starter (which i have never done.) I have read that you should plan to make the starter 12-18 hours before you pitch for maximum reproduction. My only concern is that I'm not sure quite yet when I will be brewing. I have to coordinate with a friend that I will be brewing with. Will the yeast remain viable for "a little while?"

Actually your starter should optimally go for 24 to 36 hours to be at it's best. This ensures that they have replicated and are ready to start munching on those sweet sugars. You didn't mention if you were using a stir plate or not either, if not, you need to gently shake the yeast to keep it in suspension the entire time. If it is done and you won't be brewing until the next day, just put it in the refrigerator and cold crash it. When you start your brew day, take it out and decant (pour off) the clear beer on top and let it warm to your pitching temperature (it should do this just sitting on a counter top while you brew). Make sure that you keep it covered with sanitized foil or the lid of the container (if you aren't using a flask). When you are ready to pitch give it a good swirl to loosen it all up and pitch it into your wort.

Eighteen hours for a yeast starter would be absolute minimum if you are using a stir plate. With the intermittent shaking method plan at least 48 hours for the starter to be ready. If you are making a big starter add 12 hours of refrigeration for decanting the wort off the yeast. Make your starter. Keep it in the frig for a week. There will be no loss of yeast viability in that week. Two weeks would not be a problem if you grow excess yeast cells.

Go to http://yeastcalc.com/
You can use this calculator to determine how many yeast cells you will need for your brew. You can also use the calculator for estimating viable yeast cells after a week or month of making your starter.

Thanks for the info guys. How long will the yeast be good BEFORE I make the starter? Not sure when the brew date will be.

Thanks for the info guys. How long will the yeast be good BEFORE I make the starter? Not sure when the brew date will be.

YeastCalc will also give you the viabilty of your yeast based on the production date. The production date of the yeast or the production date of your starter is the base for yeast cell count calculations.

Put it in the fridge until you're ready to make the starter. If you are going to brew within the next weeks you should be fine. As Flars said, you can run it in a yeast calculator for viability but from what I have read, even those numbers can be overkill. My starters are done in 1 gal glass jugs with foil placed loosely on the top. I put it on the counter and I swirl it everytime I walk by. Usually within 24 hours or so essentially all visible activity has subsided. When it comes time to pitch, I decant the liquid and pitch the slurry. My beers have turned out great! But then again, even ugly ducklings are loved by their mothers...

Latest posts

Back