Yeast starter volume and carboy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

milo_leon

Reaction score
Hello all-

I'm planning to brew a big quad when I get back home from the holidays. I built a stir plate and got a 5L flask to handle any size starters, will be getting an oxygen aeration kit, and make a swamp cooler to control term temps. Needless to say, I'm excited! I have a quick question about yeast starter volume and if my starter will fit in my 5 gal carboy. Mr.Malty says my starter will be roughly 3.5L so my question is-

Will I need to get a 6 gal carboy to accommodate 5 gal of beer and 3.5L of yeast? I am also worried that I will be adding too much yeast to 5 gal of beer and the extra volume could "water down" my quad. This is my first time with a starter this big so any tips and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cold crash your starter to make the yeast drop out of suspension, decant most of the beer, and just pitch the slurry. Should only increase your total volume by a pint or a pint and a half.

Cold crash your starter to make the yeast drop out of suspension, decant most of the beer, and just pitch the slurry. Should only increase your total volume by a pint or a pint and a half.

How long should I cold crash my starter? My 5L probably will not fit in my fridge tho :(

Back