Yeast starter temp.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

narl79

Reaction score
So swmbo wants all brewing stuff outside in the brewshed and now even my starters. I know temp while fermenting is very important but if im making a starter will the temp change also effect my starter? Brew shed is 70 years old with no way to control the temp inside.

It will effect the grow rate and consequently the total population of the starter. If the starter is on the cooler side make it bigger to compensate .

Makes sense thanks. Im going to be reusing yeast so im guessing a 2000ml stater should be a safe bet?

Measure the time by the appearance of Krausen, you'll see if it takes longer. If you use a stir plate and but normally get krausen turn the plate speed down. If you don't use a stir plate, it will help with growth in such instances.

As for volume, its hard to over pitch. Use an online calculator to see what numbers you will get with your yeast at different volumes, this with give you a idea.

What temps are we talking?

yeah, how cold is cold?

day vs. night temp swings aren't good, either. can't you talk her into letting just a starter into the house? it can hide out in a closet, in the laundry room, or some other out of the way place. it's small!

It's going from 45-70. I was in time out for having the mother of all blow offs. The pantry aka old ferm room and half the kitchen got covered. I cleaned it and did some laundry and talked her into a ferm chamber build so that kind of thing wouldn't happen again. My wife is awesome because all I said was I could build a ..... and all she said was just get it all out of the house by the weekend and I happily replied you got it.

Back