Yeast Starter Newbie screw up - Advice?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewista_may

Reaction score
Hey guys,
First time making a starter today. Got some WLP 300 for a hefeweizen i will be brewing tomorrow. Attempted to make a yeast starter ... shook up the liquid yeast in the tube and when i opened it up it overflowed all over the counter top and i probably lost a good amount before i put the rest into the yeast starter .. had no idea it was going to overflow out of the tube like that! :(

What should i do? Is the ratio of DME in the starter going to stress out the small amount of yeast i dumped in there ?
-Should i go get another tube of the same yeast and pitch that into my wort tomorrow or is that overkill?

Any advice would help! thanks!

Hello it depends on what you mean by a good amount, if you mean 1/2 of the yeast, well then you will probably be under pitching, if it was less than 1/4 of the yeast I wouldn't worry to much, also I would make your yeast starter 2 days before brewing to let the yeast have time to multiply more, just my 2 cents.

Cheers :mug:

Thanks. I'd say closer to 1/4 of the yeast if that. next time i will start 2 days ahead Lesson learned about white labs tube yeast sprays.
I cooled down the wort and pitched it, keeping the fermenter wrapped in a cold towel and ice to keep the temperature on the lower side... is it weird that the fermentation hasnt started almost 24 hours later?

Although I have never used a white labs vial, I seem to remember reading somewhere on this forum that when you take the vial out if the fridge to warm it up, open the cap just a little bit.
As it warms, this prevents the pressure from building up and causing this problem.

Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Although I have never used a white labs vial, I seem to remember reading somewhere on this forum that when you take the vial out if the fridge to warm it up, open the cap just a little bit.
As it warms, this prevents the pressure from building up and causing this problem.

Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I just open the vial slowly and let the pressure release. Kind of like a shook up soda bottle.

Back