Yeast Starter help.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eluterio

Reaction score
I am doing a lager and thought about doing this wondering if anyone has any input on the idea? Ive made my starter but with the shake method, just recently purchased a stirplate. I was thinking because I am doing two lagers I started one last week and has been in the fridge sitting all this time.

Could I used the chilled down wort out of tomorrow brewing day as a booster starter??? Here is my thought;

Brew beer OG 1.049
Chill beer down as low as possible (Making Lager) 45 degrees.
IC might not get to 45 F so get as low as I can and place in fridge.
During the chill down phaze Extract out 800ml of wort.
Pitch yeast into it and place on stir plate.
Let run for an hour or two.
Put in fridge to chill to desired temp 45 F.
Pitch and be done.

Thoughts?

How big a starter was made that you will pitch the yeast from? If it was larger than required for your lager originally it might be enough to just energize the yeast.

In the week the yeast has been in the fridge you have lost some viability. An hour or 2 on the stirplate will energize the yeast but is not long enough to increase cell counts significantly.

mrmalty suggests a 5.9 liter starter from one vial with intermittent shaking for a 1.049 lager.

I did a 2 step approach. Started with 1.6ml and then cold crashed decanted and added 2.6ml I believe. I used Brewer's friend since mr. Malty didn't have the step up component. I also did the shake method and not sure if I hit the actual cell count. I don't think growing at this point is extremely necessary at this point but to reactive the yeast is what I'm thinking to give them a jump start from the cold slumber.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Latest posts

Back