Yeast starter for 1.087 og

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lane19d

Reaction score
I just got my BYO stir plate running correctly and am ready to make my first yeast starter. The og is 1.087, the yeast is expired liquid vial of white labs Scottish ale. Will a 2l starter be enough? Do I have to add yeast nutrient to it? About how long will it take to make a starter of this size? Thanks for your patience!

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

How big is your starter container? If it's 2L, you can make that work. My suggestion is a two step starter. Make your 2L starter for 48 hours, then cold crash it. Pour off the liquid and add fresh wort to make another 2L starter, which should go for about 48 hours. So, you need to begin your process 4+ days before brew day. If you have a larger container - like 4L - you could start bigger and create your starter in 48 hours.

Best of Luck!

I second the above opinion. And yeah, throw nutrient in. It certainly won't hurt!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Home Brew mobile app

Great! How much wort/water do I use? I am using a 2L flask.

I tried using their calculator yesterday, and it wants me to lay 4.99 for their app :(

I tried using their calculator yesterday, and it wants me to lay 4.99 for their app :(

I'm not sure where you were looking, but it just let me use it. For 1.087 you need 1.96 Liters

Great! How much wort/water do I use? I am using a 2L flask.

You'll have a little bit of a challenge in a 2L flask in that the krausen from your starter may blow out the top of your flask, but you can pitch a nice healthy yeast that will work in high gravity beers.

Here's how I'd do it - target a ratio of 1 cup DME to 1 Qt (4 cups) of water. For a 2L flask, I target a 1.5L starter. In in the process of boiling the wort, you'll have some evaporation so you should start with some extra water to compensate for the evaporation. I'd use 1 1/2 cup DME in 1 3/4 Qt (7 cups) of water, expecting that about a cup will boil off. And while you want to be in the right range, don't stress out about the measurement process. If your wort is a little high or a little low in OG, your starter will still work.

Bring the wort to a boil and boil for 10 minutes or so. Chill the pan of hot wort in a sink of very cold water. Drink a beer and spray your flask and a 4" square of foil with StarSan, then drain and refill the sink with cold water surrounding the pan. Have another beer. When the wort has cooled to the 70* - 80* range pour the wort into your sanitized flask and add your yeast. Cover the flask opening with the sanitized foil and put it on your stir plate (if you don't ahve a stir plate, shake the starter every hour or two to aerate it). Cover the surrounding area with some paper towels in case you have a krausen explosion. Look at the starter the next morning and you should see some activity. The second morning the starter should be really happy.

That evening when you first get home, put the flask in the fridge to crash the yeast. After dinner repeat the wort boiling/chilling process. Pour off the liquid from the flask, leaving the thick yeast in the bottom of the flask in tact - you'll need to leave a little of the liquid in the flask because you'll loose too much yeast if you pour it all off. Then add your second batch of cooled wort to the flask and set it back on the stir plate. Check on your yeast friends the next two mornings. The night before brew day, put the flask in the fridge to crash the yeast, and during the mash, pull the flask out, dump off the liquid and let the yeast warm up to room temperature.

If something happens and you can't brew, your yeast will be good for a few months as long as you keep it refrigerated and covered.

Best of Luck!

Back