Yeast recommendation for Cream ale (with late hop addition)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pyg

Reaction score
The following recipe is my house ale.

7# 2 row
3# flaked corn
1# flaked Barley

1 oz cascade (or Columbus)20 min
1 oz centennial 5 mins
3 oz combo of galaxy/mosaic/citra flameout
3 oz combo of galaxy/mosaic/citra dry hop

S-05
But was looking at using WLP080 cream ale yeast

The idea of the beer was that both BMC drinkers and craft drinkers could enjoy.
I have always used S-05, but looking to branch out.
Considering this is part cream ale part NEIPA/IPA (due to late addition hops), I am not sure if I should use a cream ale yeast, IPA yeast or something simple (S-05 or California Ale Yeast)

Thoughts or advice?

Just found a pack of Nottingham Ale yeast in back of fridge.
Expires in May 2019.
Good enough for English pale ales and lagers.
Good for hoppy cream ale?

8oz of aggressive hops in a 5 gal batch? I'm not faulting your recipe, it might be a great beer, but there's no yeast that's going to make that palatable to your typical BMC drinker.

That’s gonna be a very light malt bill which I’m not sure has enough legs to help support the hop charge. You could also try S-04 to help with those hops. Usually I’d keep to a traditional cream ale hop addition but this could be interesting

I've tried a lot of yeast in my cream ales and I have settled on Wyeast 1056. I brewed 40 gallons of cream ale last year alone using a variety of yeasts on and off. I gave away more than half of that to friends and co-workers and the batches made with 1056 gave me the most consistent positive feedback. For the record, the grain bill and hops were all the same using locally sourced 2-row, flaked maize, and lemon drop hops.

The recipe seems like it is a CREAM IPA!!! I agree with Gnomebrewer, if your friends are true BMC drinkers they will be overwhelmed by the hoppyness.

Yeast for it? IDK. Probably can't go wrong with US-05/WLP001/WY1056.

8oz of aggressive hops in a 5 gal batch? I'm not faulting your recipe, it might be a great beer, but there's no yeast that's going to make that palatable to your typical BMC drinker.

The recipe seems like it is a CREAM IPA!!! I agree with Gnomebrewer, if your friends are true BMC drinkers they will be overwhelmed by the hoppyness.

Yeast for it? IDK. Probably can't go wrong with US-05/WLP001/WY1056.

For the record I have made this same receipt the last three consecutive springs.
It is a light cream ale with a citra-fruity aroma and flavor.
I find that the BMC drinkers don’t like bitter, so I avoid the buttering addition.
The grain bill keeps it light, cream ale-ish and crushable.
This has become a beer for all, on a hot day sitting in the sun by the pool!

Every year I have used S-05, but always thought a different yeast could make this batch better.

Thanks for advice, may try 1056 or cream ale yeast

IMG_3807.JPG
used WLP080 creamy ale yeast
Great creame ale flavor, aroma and flavor of blueberry, citrus, grapefruit!!!!!

I like wlp029 for my cream ales although I’m experimenting with using lager yeast ( 34/70 ) right now which I guess puts it in the category of classic American Pilsner. Still have another month to see how it turns out . I used 20 percent flaked maize , 80 percent Idaho 2 row Pilsner malt and 23 ibu of cluster.

Latest posts

Back