Yeast Re-hydration might have heat it up too much

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerMyLove

Reaction score
I set my yeast in a pot to try the re-hydrating versus starter and i put the pot on the stove on low and left for 5 minutes i would say and it was a bit hot. I quickly removed covered and let it cool then pitched it. Now its been about 17 hours since being pitched and no sign of fermentation. Any ideas or thoughts are appreciated.

Thank you in Advance

:rockin:

If it doesnt start in the next 12 hts or so I would throw in another packet of dry yeast just to be safe.

Lag time is an opportunity for wild bugs to proliferate, but some lag time is fine. That is why i said I would wait a few more hours because that should still be ok but too much longer and i would re-pitch.

Your yeast probably went through a temperature shock which kills some and causes others to start fermentation later. I always keep a packet or 2 of dry yeast in the fridge for times like this.

Yeah nothing is happening. I called a friend who has safale .04 i was using .05. I figure I rather save the beer than care what flavors will be imparted by a different yeast.

Rehydration water temps are generally 90-105F. That stove time was likely too hot. Some yeasts even recommend rehydrating at 80F,so look up the PDF on the particular yeast used to get the right temp range. And use a thermometer to keep an eye on the temp next time.

I went to my friends who luckily for me had Safale .05. So I pitched and within half an hour it was already bubbling up nicely. I was mistaken earlier I think I posted that I was using Safale .05 when it was Safale .04. But after reading on the .05 yeast the flavors should be very similar.

Wait. The way that original post looks, you heated up the water after you put the dry yeast in it. Am I reading that right? That would kill all of the yeast cells stone cold dead.

Here's how to rehydrate dry yeast successfully:

1) When you are about to start brewing, put a cup tap water (not distilled) in a Pyrex cup in the microwave. Set it for 7 minutes, boil down to about 1/2 cup.

2) Cover the cup with a piece of sanitized foil (sprayed with Star-San if you have some). Set it aside to cool to about 95-105*F.

3) Once the water has cooled, sanitize the yeast packet and cut open with sanitized scissors.

4) Sprinkle it on the water, cover and let sit 15 minutes.

5) Stir, cover, and let sit 5 more minutes.

6) Hopefully by now, you have a bucket full of wort chilled to about 65*F and ready for the yeast.

7) The yeast slurry needs to be "attemperated" before you pitch it in the wort. That means you have to add small amounts of the cooler wort into the yeast slurry, stir and let it sit a few minutes. You'll probably have to do this a few times to get it to within 10*F of the wort temperature. Once it's within 10*F, pitch away.

BigFloyd that is what I did. I had made a starter for my previous beer and it worked great and I didn't have DME so I decided to try this and guess what it didn't work lol.

BigFloyd that is what I did. I had made a starter for my previous beer and it worked great and I didn't have DME so I decided to try this and guess what it didn't work lol.

Oh well. At least you can re-pitch and hopefully get a good result. Live and learn.

With dry yeast, there's no need at all to do a starter. In fact, it's counter-productive. Just rehydrate as described above and you'll be fine.

Liquid is a whole different story. You almost always have to do a starter unless you are pitching multiple packs ($$- cha-ching!) or pitching recently-harvested slurry.

Latest posts

Back