Yeast question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nashbrewer

Reaction score
I was wondering what kind of post fermentation flavors you get from different strains of yeast.

Examples
Hefeweizen yeasts often has that banana flavor.
Danstar Nottingham has that strong bitter yeast flavor.

Curious to find out what the different strains have.
And go...

Definitely check out the link you may also want to look at Whitelabs page as well. Remember with yeasts it is always potential flavors and generally temperature critical.

A Nottingham yeast can yield different flavors at 73° but little to none at 60° and still provide good attenuation.

I know the question is very broad. I'm not looking for the fermentation flavors, though that webpage seems to be a very good resource for that and it is important. I was looking more for the actual flavor of the yeast when consumed. Such as the yeast cake in the bottom of a bottle after bottle conditioning. What kind of flavors that yeast itself gives when consumed vs the flavor it imparts to the beer during fermentation. If that makes sense.

Well,the cooper's ale yeast gives a fruity flavor,as do many ale yeasts. Some of those that throw banana candy flavors at one temp will throw bubble gum like flavors at another.

im not sure there's much difference, IME yeast tastes like yeast. the flavors you're talking about are esters & phenols that the yeast produced.

im not sure there's much difference, IME yeast tastes like yeast. the flavors you're talking about are esters & phenols that the yeast produced.

That's what this discussion entails. That's how yeasts make the flavors particular to them. He wants to know from FV to glass what to expect from different ones.

I was looking more for the actual flavor of the yeast when consumed. Such as the yeast cake in the bottom of a bottle after bottle conditioning.

sounds like he's asking about the actual yeast flavor to me

He said "post fermentation flavors". We just know better about what he's trying to ask about. So we're all basically right. Just all in how you say it,but yeas it's esters from a particular yeast that make particular flavors as a by product. That's why some yeast are desired for certain brews,because of the bi-product flavors they can produce.

I believe dcp27 has a better handle on the question.

I am refering specifically to the flavor of the yeast. My example of the difference would be to take something as readily available as Budweiser golden wheat. This beer comes unfiltered with the yeast in the bottom. If you pour the beer into a glass as you would a homebrew and leave the yeast settled at the bottom you get less orange and citrus flavors from the drink. If you swish it around or roll the bottle on a counter top the orange and citrus flavors perk right up. This isn't an Ester given off by the yeast in conditioning or fermentation, but a flavor belonging to the yeast itself. As I understand it.

I could be wrong I supposed, but I believe it is the taste of the yeast itself mixing with the flavors of the beer to get a specific end result. You can get the Esters from yeast with out drinking the yeast as those are part of the beer. I want to know what kind of flavors drinking the yeast will provide, and not just the esters produced by the yeast. If that is considered a different flavor profile.

Exactly. Nottingham is very neutral yeast so it only tastes like yeast, which in this case is very bitter and can ruin a HB if you have a pouring accident. Anybody have a favorite ale yeast that is very forgiving if you have a pouring accident such as shaking it up or pouring too fast.

Back