Yeast Propagation 3BBL

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pugs13

Reaction score
Hello guys,
I run a 3BBL small batch brewery and I am looking to gain more knowledge on yeast management. I have been reusing my yeast but have not been very successful after 3 generations. The yeast lag and get very tired. I have obviously harvested yeast and done starters home brewing for 5-10gallon batches but not to this size. I have battled a few stuck fermentations. I have some friends in the industry that have given me some insight as well but they brew on much larger systems. My questions are:

1. I was told by a fellow brewer that after 2nd use of new yeast it now time to take that yeast off the cone, do a starter, and feed the yeast. If I want to do this how much yeast do I take off the cone of the 2nd batch?

2. After taking the yeast off the 2nd batch cone, how much starter/wort do I need to use to get for a 3BBL batch of yeast (A new batch of yeast from WhiteLabs for 3BBL is about 500ml)?

3. How much yeast nutrients should I use in a 3BBL batch of starter?

Any help and/or breakdown would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Back