Yeast nutrient

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doughtr

Reaction score
Hello, I'm new to brewing and was wondering if someone could tell me if it matters when you put the nutrient in? Most recipes I'm looking at let the must sit or a day before adding the yeast. Should I add the nutrient before I let it sit for 24hrs or when I'm putting in the yeast after it has already say for 24hrs?

Ive added it about a day after i pitched just so i made sure the yeasties were already rip roaring thru the sugars at that point. I'm not sure if u should wait longer or if its even necessary but thats what ive done and it came out great. Nice and clean and crisp, took the gravity all the way down to 0.098 and was done in about two weeks.

I've always added it right when I add my sugar. I'm also not an expert, but, my ciders turn out tasty. I've gone old school lately and have been adding raisins for my nutrient, they say adding raisins helps with mouth feel.

doughtr said:
Hello, I'm new to brewing and was wondering if someone could tell me if it matters when you put the nutrient in? Most recipes I'm looking at let the must sit or a day before adding the yeast. Should I add the nutrient before I let it sit for 24hrs or when I'm putting in the yeast after it has already say for 24hrs?

You can actually use boiled, chopped up raisins as a natural nutrient, makes it ferment way better

Back