Yeast Nutrient from Norther Brewer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oldskewl

Reaction score
I recently harvested and washed my first batch of yeast. I decided to use some yeast nutrient on my next batch, since I would not be getting any from the smack pack and the recipe I was using recommended it. I ended up ordering some from NB(link below) and it recommended 1 tsp/gal. So I added 5 tsp. Seems like a lot compared to the Wyeast nutrient that recommends 1 tsp/5gal. Hopefully it won't have any negative effect on the beer. Anyone have any experience with this yeast nutrient?

http://www.northernbrewer.com/yeast-nutrient

Did you use this for an ale? I've never used this one since it seems to be for making wine, mead, and cider.

When I add yeast nutrient I always just use a pinch to the water I rehydrate with when using dried yeast or just a pinch to the wort I make for my starter when using harvested or liquid yeast.

The 5 tsp per gallon is for wine/mead/cider as there is no good source of FAN inherently in those fermentations. It should be 1 per 5 for beer if any at all. A quick re-pitch shouldn't need extra nutrient.

Yes I used it for an ale. When I searched for yeast nutrient when placing an order during their 10% off/free shipping deal, this came up and I ordered it. I didn't realize it was for wine, mead cider. Midwest lists it for ale as well. My washed yeast was 6 weeks old. I did make a starter and figured the nutrient would be a good idea. Now I'm not so sure :(

Back