Yeast lysing from volcanic fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zaphod

Reaction score
I brewed a simple Irish red and pitched WL Burton Ale yeast. After about 2 or 3 days, the sucker took off and foamed out of my 6.5gal carboy (I can't remember the last time I had a foam-over) for about 2 full days. The small half-bath it was sitting in smelled strongly of yeast. The foam eventually retracted and I vodka'd up the airlock and let it be. I wasn't able to transfer it into secondary and just kegged it last Sunday @ 1.013 (exactly 2 weeks after brewing). Pulling off a sample, the beer still smells raw-dough yeasty and not in a good way. I think there's maybe some plastic or bandaid as well? But it's hard to pick out underneath the yeast smell.
Could this be yeast autolysis? Could a overly-vigorous ferment cause it?

It's almost certainly not autolysis, not after two weeks. Autolysis tastes more like soap and meat anyways, from what I've heard. Not like yeast.
It sounds like there's just a lot of yeast in it yet. I made a dubbel at about the same gravity over three weeks ago, and it's still settling out. Patience, grasshopper! Beer finishes on its schedule, not ours.

If you want to speed flocculation up, you can cold crash it. A decrease in even a few degrees can help. But honestly, you probably don't want to speed things up too much. A bit of extra time on the yeast helps refine the flavors a bit, oftentimes.
So far as the band-aid and plastic flavors you mention....things like this can be caused by vigorous fermentation, in which case certainly leave the beer on the yeast longer for it to 'clean up' after itself. But they are more commonly caused by reactions between flavor compounds and chlorine in the water. If that's the case, there's little getting rid of them. Just hope they're at manageable levels. If you use water with chlorine in it, make sure you take thorough measures to remove it.

Suppose I'll pull it out of the keezer and let it sit back at 65F or so for a while in the keg. There shouldn't be any chlorine as I buy spring water from a local source. That way I also know the water profile.

Back