Yeast in the lid???? what gives

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

suzanneb

Reaction score
anyone ever seen this happen. i think it was yeast at least. it was brown and kinda gross. i noticed it when i opened the bottle on the inner lip then when i looked in the lid it was there too.
could be something else i dunno.

i got lots of ideas why this happened but maybe it is common i dunno.

This happened to me on my first batch too, didn't bother me though. Probably krausen as joyceman says (that's the yeasty foam stuff if you didn't know). I think mine might have appeared after I splashed malt extract on the lid... Actually I probably just missed the bulk of fermentation overnight and the krausen hit the lid.
There's a fair few 'gross' looking stages in fermentation, DW too much unless it looks really bad.

so there is krausen during carbonation??

does that mean after you bottle you need to watch the temp of the bottles while the carb up????
never heard that before. they were outside on the screened porch and it did get hot.

so there is krausen during carbonation??

does that mean after you bottle you need to watch the temp of the bottles while the carb up????
never heard that before. they were outside on the screened porch and it did get hot.

Have to admit I missed the 'bottle' part', I assumed you meant the fermentation vessel. My bad :eek:
My first two uneducated guessed would be maybe you over-primed with sugar because the carbonation IS a fermentation albeit a small one. Or maybe you stored them one their sides or shook them up and the sediment scattered?

I believe you are supposed to watch temperatures in the bottles too. Not as closely as in fermentation but I think you can still get off flavours forming (from what I've read). The remaining yeast are still doing something: Conditioning/maturing your beer, so 'store in a cool dark place' seems to be the usual advice.

Latest posts

Back