Yeast in bottles...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Safa

Reaction score
Long story short, I lacked secondary space of sufficient size, so went ahead and bottled.

I see a layer of sediment forming at the bottom of the bottles, and even though I know I've hit FG, in worried about the yeast affecting flavor long term through autolysis or something else.

Any thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I would be more afraid of making grenades then affecting the flavor..

If it's hit FG, there is nothing to worry about. Autolysis is one of the bogeymen of brewing that almost never materialize.

I'm enjoying a year old Brett IPA right now. Lots of yeast and hop residue made it into the bottle.

failing that, siphon out of bottles into appropriate sized jar/jug/carboy/demi-john/whatever, but make sure to leave as much sediment in the bottles as you can.

Rinse bottles.

Use clearing agent of some sort and fine any more sediment out in the big jar/jug/etc etc.

Re-bottle carefully. Mark the last bottle or two filled and make sure that those are the first ones to get drunk, preferably by you.

That way, there's no sediment/lees to cause issue longer term and nothing to worry about on any giveaways, presents etc.......

I'm with Beernik....don't worry about it if it was truly done fermenting...just pour carefully :) I have some degree of sediment in every bottle of everything I've ever bottled....no biggie

Thanks guys! Gravity hadn't moved in over a month so I assumed I'd reached FG.

Toying with the idea of uncorking and transferring to bulk secondary when one frees up next week.

Should I be concerned with oxidation during transfer? Not sure how mead compares to beer with regards to dreaded oxidation post fermentation.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

yes, Oxygen could be an issue. As long as your careful with your pours or pour into a decanter when serving that bottle, you're fine with some sediment in bottles.

I find that clarity is the first impression someone gets of your mead, and you know what they say about first impressions.

When you say that gravity has not dropped in a month what in fact is the gravity? If it is 1.000 or more then it could still drop - and drop enough to create enough CO2 to transform your bottles into grenades. If it is about .994 then you have almost certainly no sugar left to ferment.

Back