Yeast harvesting after using T90 pellets in primary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eryk4381

Reaction score
I like to save a bit of money yeast harvesting so I will regularly harvest my most used yeast. However, I'm using pellets hops direct from one of the seven main providers of hops in the entire country ( nice friend to have ) and I want to just drop hop in the primary without transferring but also be able to harvest. Has anyone noticed any issues with this? Is it just more trub to separate or can It modify the yeast in some way?

What about using a hop bag? You can certainly still harvest and separate the yeast with more hop matter. I just usually try to keep the yeast as clean as possible to avoid passing around flavors. Having a cream ale that's tastes like dank, resiny Chinook and Columbus isn't very good.

i've done it plenty of times, you won't transfer any hop flavors to the next beer, don't worry about it. think about it, if you're pitching directly into the next beer, it's like 8oz (1 cup) into 640oz (5gal), or barely over 1% of the volume. if you make a starter from it & decant, its even less.

dcp27 said:
i've done it plenty of times, you won't transfer any hop flavors to the next beer, don't worry about it. think about it, if you're pitching directly into the next beer, it's like 8oz (1 cup) into 640oz (5gal), or barely over 1% of the volume. if you make a starter from it & decant, its even less.

I've done it and have picked up hop flavor from the previous beer. Especially if its a late hope addition with exceptionally strong flavors like Columbus. Not trying to argue, but just use some sense when harvesting. Cheers!

Latest posts

Back