yeast harvest mistake?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fireman-Mike

Reaction score
Yesterday i decided to harvest the yeast from my caribou slobber to make my first starter on my next brew. While reading some posts about harvesting yeast today i think i may have messed up. When i harvested the yeast i just left a little wort in my one gallon jug, swirled it to get the yeast up then dumped it in a sanitized mason jar and stuck it in the fridge. The mason jar is only about half full and the posts i read today said to fill completely. Is my yeast ok or should i dump it and do it over next time?

Man, This post made it to page 3 in under 1/2 hour.... There is a lot of forum activity today.

I only tried to harvest once I didn't have good luck, but it was a half hearted attempt. If you have good city water, you could top up with that. Leave some head-space though. If you have quesionable water, boil it and let it cool so-as-to not hurt the yeast when you add it.

.....also, check out the threads at the bottom of your thread for more info.

Good luck. :)

Boil some water then cool it down. Dump it in your jar and shake it up to get the yeast suspended again. Let it sit so all the dead stuff falls to the bottom then carefully pour off the top layer of yeast into another sanitized jar

When I reuse the yeast I pretty much get as much beer out as I can and then swirl the rest around until it is all soupy looking. I then pour it into sanitized pint bottles and put them in the fridge. You do have to burp then once or so because they will build some pressure but I have used this method and not had any issues. I can get 5 pints out of a yeast cake as well and according to Mr Malty I am golden for just dumping it in my next batch of beer.

Is it scientific.....No but it works :)

Latest posts

Back