Yeast -hangover causual link?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wt23

Reaction score
Hi,
I'm very interested in the link between yeast and hangovers; I have seen people argue that yeast based products can help relieve hangover symptoms, however I have also seen people argue that yeast is one of the major causes of hangovers. I was wondering if anyone had any know large of this issue?

+1 to the zapping of nutrients from your body. Yeast is packed full of things your body and liver need to process alcohol. That is why drinking homebrew is *relatively* speaking better than drinking filtered commercial beer. Most vitamin supplements and other health potions contain brewers yeast.

On the other side of the scale. Poorly distilled products contain yeast along with tons of other stuff that induce brutal hangovers. But it is an apples and oranges comparison.

Thanks guys :)
I was just really conflicted with all the information, does anyone know if a supplement could be used instead of yeast.
However I do think I would be very naive of me to blame the hangover on the yeast and not myself lol; I have found with home brew a hangover is not so intense.

When I consume beverages fermented with yeast I do tend to experience hangovers :drunk:

Seriously - the yeast do convey a lot of nutrients that are stripped out of commercially filtered brews. That may have something to do with the relative mildness of homebrew hangovers, and certainly it helps with minimizing gastric upset (with the exception of being a bit gassy, like most homebrewers are). When I've had a bit much it really is more a dehydration issue that is rectified pretty quickly by drinking water the next day. I also take my daily multivitamin at night which I think helps make up some of the lost electrolytes and minerals.

When I consume beverages fermented with yeast I do tend to experience hangovers :drunk:

Seriously - the yeast do convey a lot of nutrients that are stripped out of commercially filtered brews. That may have something to do with the relative mildness of homebrew hangovers, and certainly it helps with minimizing gastric upset (with the exception of being a bit gassy, like most homebrewers are). When I've had a bit much it really is more a dehydration issue that is rectified pretty quickly by drinking water the next day. I also take my daily multivitamin at night which I think helps make up some of the lost electrolytes and minerals.

Thanks for reply :) (and u just reminded me to take my vitamins lol)
But yeah I feel it may be more a dehydration of the brain. However what is interesting about home brew is the symptoms are less nausea and headache
; but more low energy levels and low mood and increased anxiety.

The yeast arent the cause of the hangover. The effects of Alcohol withdrawl on your system, dehydration and malnutrition (the stripped out nutrients) are all the cause of the hangover. The yeast can as above help relieve the hangover. I have found that drinks with more residual sugars and higher carbonation levels tend to make my hangovers far worse the next day. Caffiene too.

Never realized it until now. HB beers do not seem to hangover me as much. The Apfelwein on the other hand...

Everything you like tries to kill you...

If you drink too much, you will get a hangover!

Matching your intake with appropriate quantities of non-alcoholic liquid and taking vitamins, etc can help but the bottom line is that if you drink more than a certain amount, the next day your tongue will have hair and eyes will want to retreat down your spinal column...if it's really bad, your stomach may try to meet your eyes half way...

Everything you like tries to kill you...

If you drink too much, you will get a hangover!

Matching your intake with appropriate quantities of non-alcoholic liquid and taking vitamins, etc can help but the bottom line is that if you drink more than a certain amount, the next day your tongue will have hair and eyes will want to retreat down your spinal column...if it's really bad, your stomach may try to meet your eyes half way...

wait wait wait.... that's not normal?

Back