Yeast for room temp ferment???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MtnGoatJoe

Reaction score
I tried making cider a couple of years ago, and I wasn't too happy with the results. Well, now I have a cider press and I have some jonagold and granny smith juice and I want to try again. What would be a good yeast for a room temperature ferment (68-73 degrees)? I'd like something that enhances aroma.

I'm probably going to add some raw juice in at the end for flavor and sweetness (and pasteurize).

As above, White Labs WLP775 (I can't always get it in Oz) or SO4 are my go-to. SO4 will typically finish around 1.003 which leaves a touch of sweetness. My coolroom is 64F but it seems to work O.K. at 65-70F.

Last edited:
WLP775 is what I use. But I always ferment it in the low 60s. Have you considered making a swamp cooler? Its a cheap, easy and effective way to keep fermentation temps down (low 60's would be pretty simple with one).

Essentially you just need a bucket/tub large enough to put your carboy/bucket inside of. Fill the bucket/tub tub (I used to use a rubbermain tote) with water about 1/2-2/3 the way up the carboy/bucket and drop some frozen water bottles into the bucket/tub. It helps a lot if you freeze about 6 water bottles at a time so you can always swap out 2 or 3 at a time.

It's ugly and primitive but effective but gives you more options for yeast. Cheers!

Back