Yeast for Munich Dunkel?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bghtfc

Reaction score
Couple of questions here. I've got a jar of White Labs Oktoberfest/Marzen yeast in my fridge that I washed from my Oktoberfest that is currently lagering. I am looking to make a dark munich lager similar to Warsteiner Dunkel for my next beer and I'm wondering if I could or should use this yeast for it.

So my questions are:

1) Is this yeast appropriate for the dark munich style I'm looking for?
2) How long will the yeast last in the fridge after being washed? I of course will do a starter to determine if it is still viable, but I'm curious as I've never washed and reused yeast before. It's currently been in the fridge for about 3 weeks and it will be another 2 or 3 weeks probably before I can use it. Will it be good?
3) If WLP820 isn't appropriate enough, what yeast would you guys recommend? Wyeast 2308? WLP838 or 830? Maybe even a dry yeast I'm overlooking?

WLP820 is appropriate for all German lager styles. That's the Weihenstephan W34/70 strain. It's awesome.

3 weeks is no problem as long as you do a starter first.

WLP820 is appropriate for all German lager styles. That's the Weihenstephan W34/70 strain. It's awesome.

3 weeks is no problem as long as you do a starter first.

I think you mean 830.

OP, check the 820 White labs page... http://www.whitelabs.com/yeast/wlp820-oktoberfestm%C3%A4rzen-lager-yeast

Looks good for it

European Style Dark & Munchner 4

It looks like a low attenuator, so adjust accordingly for that.

If you want to start from scratch with yeast, its hard to beat WLP830 or Saflager 34/70.

OP, just a comment on making a dunkel, if you plan on using 100% or close of munich malt, make sure its the type that converts well. I used gambrinus 10L once and it did not ferment well...OR dump in a couple pounds of pilsner to ensure sufficient enzymes if you want...

Latest posts

Back