Yeast for 10 ABV and above????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoseLima

Reaction score
What's a good American Ale yeast for high ABV beers.. BOURBON barreled Aged Cherry Stout.

Wlp007 and there super high gravity yeast are some but there is more. You could use a wine yeast also that gets up there pretty high on the tolerance scale

If the barrel is your secondary, I've had good luck just using your normal yeast in primary them when racking, add Red Star Pasteur Champagne.

From my experience, it's been good up to 15.3% and doesn't change the primary taste much. I've hear that you can go past 20% with it, but I've never pushed it up that high.

Wyeast 1084 Irish Ale took my Imperial Milk Chocolate Stout to 11.4%. SG was 1.119 and FG was 1.034. Pitched about 450B cells for a 5g batch.

PacMan and Chico (S-05, WLP001, Wyeast1056) should be good to about 12%. San Diego (WLP090 can go higher). All are clean fermenting American yeasts.

I wouldn't use a wine yeast, it can leave it sweet as it will not ferment many of the complex sugars that ale yeasts can.

And of course there is WLP099, that is supposed to be good to up to 25% (but you have to step it up to get there).

I have used Safale US-05 to get 12.5% in a barleywine OG 1.122 FG 1.025. As long as you use enough healthy yeast you can achieve some high ABV with the American ale yeast that is available on the market.
Cheers,
Brandon

Back