Yeast DOA...Lesson Learned.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wyowolf

Reaction score
Ordered some grain/yeast online. added the ice pack to it. 2 packs, one a bel wheat and an irish red.

go home was sitting the driveway...was pretty warm when I opened the box :( ice pack was quite warm...
WPL 400 and Yeast 1084 irish red...

brewed the BM clone with the wheat. made a starter for the 400... dead as a door nail.... 1.35 start.... exact same in am... didn't drop a bit..

the irish was a smack pack so smacked it and to my surprise it may be ok... it swelled right up...

so an hour trip to town to get some yeast was the result of all that...

lesson learned... ship yeast at your own risk...

in Atlanta..

I go with the dry stuff and i harvested my last ale yeast for my next ale so will be interested to see how that turns out.

i'm up north but would be worried about liquid yeast this time of yr.
winter time not so much except don't know how liquid yeast freezing would go.

i usually harvest and freeze per article on here. this was first time I had yeast shipped... usually i get it local, but its a bit of a drive to go to ATL...

Dry yeast by mail always IMO. Can't rely on ice packs or delivery times

If you must use liquid, and you brew the same kinds of beer, make the trip to closest LHBS along with a cooler and stock up

I just was wondering how common it is to happen. I see lots of people ordering it... maybe I'm just unlucky.

If possible I try to choose carriers with white vans (fedex) for yeast deliveries in the summer because packages being delivered by freight companies with dark brown delivery vans usually arrive here a lot hotter. Go figure. :)

Just wanted to update this and thank Morebeer for their excellent customer service!! they refunded both yeasts and the ice pack!!

super happy about that!!

Do you wash your yeast? Kinda off-topic, I know, but if you're in a situation where delivery is your only option for yeast, washing is a big help. You won't have to wait for a delivery to have a boil day, and you'll spend far less money in the long run.

I'll even re-pitch dry yeast. Why not. Yeast is liquid money.
Make a 5.5% ABV beer with a single pack of yeast, then the trub will contain enough cells to pitch to a high gravity ale a couple weeks later. No starter necessary.

I simply keg my beers on the same day I boil the next batch.
After getting the yeast layer separated from the trub, I just dump from one carboy into the next. No sanitation steps are necessary.

Since I started washing, it now literally pains me to pitch yeast down the drain.

Do you wash your yeast? Kinda off-topic, I know, but if you're in a situation where delivery is your only option for yeast, washing is a big help. You won't have to wait for a delivery to have a boil day, and you'll spend far less money in the long run.

I'll even re-pitch dry yeast. Why not. Yeast is liquid money.
Make a 5.5% ABV beer with a single pack of yeast, then the trub will contain enough cells to pitch to a high gravity ale a couple weeks later. No starter necessary.

I simply keg my beers on the same day I boil the next batch.
After getting the yeast layer separated from the trub, I just dump from one carboy into the next. No sanitation steps are necessary.

Since I started washing, it now literally pains me to pitch yeast down the drain.

actually i freeze them per an article on here a few months ago. Freeze them in solution of glycerin..i make a few tubes of each type and keep them, that way there is no chance of changes between batches because they all came from the same batch...

Latest posts

Back