Yeast blow up.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewKnob

Reaction score
So, my carefully harvested yeast blew the lid off...the one on the left. I caught it pretty soon, cleaned and sanitized the lid and put it back on. Left the lid loose this time. So, would anyone transfer to new jar?

Pic is a before. There's now yeast crust on inside of jar walls.

0731171952-1.jpg

Can I ask what the expected gain is from reusing the entire batch of harvested yeast versus taking a small fraction of that for use in a new starter?

No starter.

Sorry, that was obvious. I meant what is so beneficial to warrant skipping a starter? The cost is almost nothing and you're guaranteed metabolically active yeast. Just something I've always wondered for the home brew scale.

Sorry, that was obvious. I meant what is so beneficial to warrant skipping a starter? The cost is almost nothing and you're guaranteed metabolically active yeast. Just something I've always wondered for the home brew scale.
Larger quantities of yeast, that's 2 quarts...warm it up and pitch. I'm making 20 gallons. I'd have to make a 5 gallon starter.

Larger quantities of yeast, that's 2 quarts...warm it up and pitch. I'm making 20 gallons. I'd have to make a 5 gallon starter.

Well there you go, 20 gallons is probably at the extreme edge of standard homebrewing volume!

Latest posts

Back