Yeast blend: Dry English + Burton Ale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CastleHollow

Reaction score
I'm brewing up an ESB tomorrow, and have a starter of WLP007 Dry English ale getting ready to go. I have some second generation WLP023 Burton Ale yeast that I was thinking of adding to the starter overnight and pitching both together. Any thoughts on what kind of profile I'd end up with for this beer?

45% Marris Otter
36% Belgian Two-row Pale
5% Flaked Barley
5% Crystal Malt - 20L
5% Belgian Biscuit Malt
5% Victory Malt

45 IBUs from Kent Goldings and Bramling Cross
Target OG = 1.060

My 2 cents. Or sixpence, or shillings or whatever.

EKG and Bramling Cross is a fine combination. I would bitter with something high-alpha to 40ish IBUs and throw your hops in at the end. Ferment with WLP023 first to get the fruity esters, and then throw the 007 in if (and only if) you want to dry it out. Another option, provided you have a spare fermenter handy, is to split your batch and ferment each half with a different yeast.

EKG and Bramling Cross is a fine combination. I would bitter with something high-alpha to 40ish IBUs and throw your hops in at the end. Ferment with WLP023 first to get the fruity esters, and then throw the 007 in if (and only if) you want to dry it out. Another option, provided you have a spare fermenter handy, is to split your batch and ferment each half with a different yeast.

Yes, thanks, I've got some Centennial in for 60 minutes to get the bittering up, and will use the combo in the last 20 minutes.

Good idea about the split batch. Instead of fermenting the strains together, I think I'll go this route---and then combine them in the secondary!

I use WLP023/WY1275 quite a bit, I find that this strain takes a LONG time to flocculate out unless a fining agent is used. WLP007 drops clear right away. I find that, for a bitter, the burton/thames yeast accentuates malt very, very well and provides a slight "biscuit" edge to the beer that I have not tasted from another yeast. WLP007 to me is just clean and dry, yielding virtually no extra yeast derrived character.

To make a long story short, use the burton and either clear the beer or age it out. It's worth it.

Assuming you've already pitched...

I'd bottle about 2/3 of each batch separately, then blend the remaining thirds in secondary. See which of the three versions you like best. I'm with Permo in casting a preliminary vote for the Burton as the winner.

Latest posts

Back