Yeast Awareness Club

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ColumbusAmongus

Reaction score
So it is that time of year where everyone starts making their darker fall / winter brews so I think we should start a yeast awareness club to help people get off their 1056 / 001 addiction. I taste a lot of ambers, porters, stouts...ect...ect....made with the american ale / cal ale yeasts and they are just not that great. It seems like brewers often get in the routine of using "old trusty" for everything and don't fully appreciate or understand how different yeasts are needed to really make a certain style come to life.

I don't want to start a rant thread, rather, maybe we can help people out by making a thread with cool yeast / style combinations that you have found work really well and perhaps try to give some description of the ingredients and what about the yeast profile really mixed well and made the brew shine.

My favorite combination is 001+056 (San Diego Super). Is that what you meant? :p

Seriously though, I like to use the "Ardenne" yeast on my belgians. Takes a bit of the "sweet" finish of traditional belgian yeasts and makes it more of a "tart" finish.

jbaysurfer said:
My favorite combination is 001+056 (San Diego Super). Is that what you meant? :p Seriously though, I like to use the "Ardenne" yeast on my belgians. Takes a bit of the "sweet" finish of traditional belgian yeasts and makes it more of a "tart" finish.

Thats funny, I was just about to get that yeast for a clone that I am working on but I copped out and took their bottle yeast instead of guessing. How would you describe the aroma of that yeast?

Thats funny, I was just about to get that yeast for a clone that I am working on but I copped out and took their bottle yeast instead of guessing. How would you describe the aroma of that yeast?

Fruity, spicy, bubblegum deliciousness! Love that yeast!

duboman said:
Fruity, spicy, bubblegum deliciousness! Love that yeast!

Thats great. That is what my starter is smelling like...a little sweet with a pleasant banana-bubblegum aroma. I am trying to clone ABC's Violin Monster which is an "american dark wheat" which I originally thought was a stout. If they are indeed using Ardennes, it would prob kick arse in porters and stouts too.

I actually enjoy a RIS with Wyeast 3711. Mash a little higher so it doesn't over attenuate, and keep the temps lower than you would for a typical Saison, other wise the yeast will dominate, but it's a pretty cool combination.

I did an American Amber a while back with 1318 London III and it was well received. Sort of an English-fruity ESB/Amber hybrid. I'd recommend keeping the temp at 68-70 though or you may get excessive esters.

TheZymurgist said:
I actually enjoy a RIS with Wyeast 3711. Mash a little higher so it doesn't over attenuate, and keep the temps lower than you would for a typical Saison, other wise the yeast will dominate, but it's a pretty cool combination.

Yeah sounds like a great combo. I haven't used that yeast but I have come across a couple of farmhouse style stouts that were really tasty.

Typically fruity on the nose, with a hint of tannin...then the tart hits the palate and helps the beer to finish with a dry feel. I've got a beer with it in a pretty large pro-am contest, so I'll be able to give you some BJCP feedback when I get the results (this weekend).

Read duboman's description, and the "spice" he refers to is probably the "hint of tannin" I referred too. Sounds like he may have fermented it warmer then me. I fermented on the cool side.

Back