Yeast 'Aroma'

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigmike99

Reaction score
I've been getting a yeasty aroma from a few of the last batches. I don't filter and cold crash around 40' before kegging after about 3 weeks in the fermenter. I remembered that I got a few new corny's and haven't cut down the dip tube for the out and think that might have a bit to do with it.

Any other opinions?

I never cut down my diptubes. How long are you cold conditioning before serving? (It sometimes takes a week to fall clear) If you dont jostle the keg after that, it should pour clear and non yeasty except the first and last pint.

Same here. I use both corneys and sankes and dont get yeasty aromas. I do cold condition though. I assume you keep the corny in a fridge, maybe give them a week or two at cold temps and pour off the first pint. See if that helps the situation. Id advise against cutting your diptube as most yeast compacts at the bottom without issue (given my experience)

I agree to not cut the dip tubes. If there's so much sediment in a keg that the dip tube needs to be cut, you have other issues. Besides, you may leave a pint or two behind in your keg because the dip tube is too short. I never cold crash any more. It crashes in the keg. A few cloudy beers at the beginning of the keg never bothered me at all. Its one less step in an already time consuming hobby.

The dip tubes in my former soda cornies basically are up against the bottom of the keg. I've cut maybe a 1/4-1/2 inch off a few to leave some of that bottom layer behind.

I'll just cold crash the hell out of them from here on out.

Cheers

One thing that I noticed is that I dislike the yeast character from a beer sitting on the trub for 3 weeks. Is that maybe what you're picking up? Not tasting the actual yeast, but the character imparted by the long contact time on the yeast?

I like to keep my beer in the fermenter less than that, generally 10-14 days or so, and I like the flavor much better than a beer that was in the primary for 3+ weeks.

I was going a bit shorter...10-14 then switched to more of a 3 week time. Might have to try that with the few I've got fermenting now. One is actually a split 10g batch of stout, one with 1098 and the other with wlp002. Maybe I'll do a little experiment

Thanks.

i let my kegs sit still and hit a couple half pints every few days and pound those and enjoy the flatulence. after a couple weeks of conditioning you really shouldn't be getting much settling.

and i never cut my dip tubes. i could just see me chipping my teeth on the corny keg rim late at night after my best IPA kicks. its just not worth it.

Latest posts

Back