Yeast/Aeration Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

segallis

Reaction score
Finally go back into homwbrewing after a looong hiatus... First two brews were Belgian Quadruples extract recipes, 1.088 OG both times, using Wyeast 3787 Trappist high gravity smack packs. Both times I did not use a starter - just left the pack out for 3 to 5 hours before pitching. Both times I had an active bubbling airlock within 12 to 18 hours.

Third batch was a mash with 10 pounds of grain and 3 pounds of dme cause I wasn't confident I could mash 16 pounds without having too much liquor for the boil. I also used a new larger brew pot, so this batch was a full 6 gal boil vs maybe 3 gals for the previous two batches. Recipe was similar, same yeast, and OG was 1.079.

It's been 24 hours and no activity in the airlock. I cracked the lid and can see about an inch of foam on top, so there is some activity. None of the batches were aerated. So I'm wondering if the full boil lowed the oxygen level more than with my previous two partial boils?

My main question is whether it is too late or even worth aerating with pure O2 in the morning (when Lowes opens), or does the fact I have about an inch of foam indicate sufficient activity to not worry about it?

If you already have krausen, definitely don't oxygenate. The lack of airlock activity is probably just due to the fermentation bucket not being sealed, or an otherwise slow fermentation.

Latest posts

Back