Yam Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rookieB

Reaction score
Im going to make my first sweet potato pIePA.
Its gonna be a super mild ipa but with sweet yams and spices in it.
All spices will be mortar ground in my kitchen, no preservatives, all good stuff. I hope the beer turns out as good as I think it should taste.
What about you guys? anyone with any irregular ideas about a seasonal/fall brew?

:mug: I would also like to do an acorn squash pie brew but maybe next year.

Irregular ideas for a fall brew...well my friend wants me to make a Thanksgiving stuffing beer, using Bell's Seasoning too since it's made in the next town over. Told him he was crazy, but then starting planning! Need a bready malt base, maybe a touch of smoked malt and maybe a little fennel or anise to give the hint of the fennel in the sausage in stuffing...and the Bell's seasoning which is rosemary, sage, oregano, marjoram and ginger...stuff that have been used in beers before for the most part! Maybe just a one gallon batch for when it turns out to be a disaster!

A guy in my homebrew club suggested just mashing in some Stovetop stuffing! LOL!

Im going to make my first sweet potato pIePA.
Its gonna be a super mild ipa but with sweet yams and spices in it.
All spices will be mortar ground in my kitchen, no preservatives, all good stuff. I hope the beer turns out as good as I think it should taste.
What about you guys? anyone with any irregular ideas about a seasonal/fall brew?

:mug: I would also like to do an acorn squash pie brew but maybe next year.

I made a sweet potato brown ale a few years ago. Came out good, but haven't gotten around to doing another batch. I do a vanilla pumpkin wheat beer every fall as well, but still working on getting the perfect balance of pumpkin flavor. No pie spice, just a subtle squash flavor.

Had a Sweet Potato Ale at a beer festival on Saturday. I think it was Oddside Ales.

Very sweet and strongly spiced. I won't say it was "bad", but it was well past cloying. Definitely tasted like liquid pie. I enjoyed the small sample I got since I was to teh point of sipping the beer and watching/listening to the music acts. I highly doubt I'd have wanted a full-sized glass.

I will bottle a Sweet Potatoe brew in the next few days. I describe it as a Dubble Weizen- & Sweet Potato Bock. Kind of a Belgian take on a German Doppelweizenbock, using my house mutation of 3711 & Belle Saison, and with sweet potato added. Higher mash, 2h boil, and some crystal malt make primary last forever though as the yeast chug along. Should be done now though I reckon, even though I still have some bubbles after over a month, but hey, that is why we measure.
Wort tasted on point, looked great, and the fermenter smells darn good.

A stuffing beer... You sir, have won the odd ingredient contest. Dogfish head would be quite proud.

some serious professionals here on hbt.. i threw my brew together and she is sitting in the closet rt now. spent a bit of time on it and a little more money than i think it will be worth but at least ill know for certain and next time i will have a much better idea what direction to go and what steps to avoid.

Back