wyeast starter yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IreRye

Reaction score
so ive never used this before, i didnt realize how to use it and break the nutrient pack inside... and poured the yeast into my carboy... did i just ruin my beer? or can i go and get more yeast and do it correctly?

sorry. im a total noob

Are you saying you pitched the yeast without breaking the inner nutrient pack? Cause that's really no big deal at all, you don't even need to get more yeast.

You're totally fine. The nutrient packet is in there to allow for expansion to show viability. As far as I know, it has nothing to do with the actual yeast themselvess

yeah i pitched the yeast without breaking the inner pack. wasnt sure what i was doing. its been 24hours and nothing going on yet. was hoping i didnt screw it up

It would have been better if you had made a starter, a single smack pack is usually an underpitch with or without the nutrients. You will have a longer lag time, but I bet you will see activity before too long. Ignore it until tomorrow unless the yeast pack was really old.

It was a fresh pack. I figured giving it til Sunday or Monday. If I don't see any activity should I get a new yeast pack and pitch that?

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Back