Wyeast smack pack vs. Dry yeast vs. white labs liquid

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Entrepreneur640

Reaction score
So I only have one batch under my belt. I am brewing 5 gallon extract kits and the first one I did I got at my local brew shop. It came with a wyeast smack pack. It seemed to work perfect! Fermentation with smoothly, with final gravity being perfect. I am going to bottle tonight or tomorrow. I am planning on picking up another kit this weekend to brew. But I want some input

* What are pros and cons of each type of Yeast?
* Are there special steps or precautions you have to take with one type over another?
* Is the Wyeast or White Labs worth the extra $5 per batch?

Thanks in advance! I am in love with HBT! What a great community!

The differences are not all that big. Dry yeast used to have a reputation for being of poorer quality and occasionally even contaminated. But these problems seem to have been resolved, so if you're sticking to the main brands (fermentas, nottingham, etc) they will do fine.

The main advantage to wyeast and white labs is their variety. There is a lot of duplication between the two brands (the yeast names may be called something different, but the underlying strains are often the same thing). IMO, wyeast has a slight edge over white labs if you're not using a starter, as the smack-pack format ensures you're pitching active yeast. You should be using a starter for most beers, and assuming you are, then there is no notable difference between the two (other than the occasional strain carried by only one company).

Best advice is to not worry about which is best - so long as you're rehydradting your dry yeast before use, and using your wyeast/white labs before their expiry, you'll be making good beer.

welcome to the hobby!

Bryan

Thanks Bryan!

I have never made a starter for yeast. I do not have a stir plate. What is the best way to make a starter without one?

not to hijack the thread, but would it be a waste to make a starter for a smack pack then? unless of course, it was pretty old?

My all time favorite yeast, and a winner of three events for me, has been Safeale US05. Ferment it at 60-62 F. Use one pack dry in 5 gallons, dump it on top when your wort is that temp and keep it cool. Don't bother to rehydrate or make a starter, dry yeast has way more cell count and viability over time than the liquids. And it's way cheaper. Enjoy.

not to hijack the thread, but would it be a waste to make a starter for a smack pack then? unless of course, it was pretty old?

No, it's always a good idea to make a starter. A starter ensures a healthy pitch rate and also lets you know you are pitching healthy, active yeast in a proper amount. Not pitching the correct minimum amount of yeast to get a healthy fermentation going can create off-flavors. I've also brought expired yeast back to life doing starters.

Many ales you will be ok with only pitching the smack pack, I only do if I'm in a pinch and didn't have time to build the starter. The starter becomes even more important when you are brewing larger than 5-gallon batches, as the yeast count is too low in a smack pack to get a healthy start. Also lagers will almost always require a starter for proper fermentation.

Thanks Bryan!

I have never made a starter for yeast. I do not have a stir plate. What is the best way to make a starter without one?

I got a video doing just that:
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UGJ_b-MfbE"]Simple Yeast Starter[/ame]

EDIT: Damn, cannot get the embed to work. On my blog I've got a series of articles and videos on yeast culturing, including making starters. The videos are orientated towards starters from a yeastbank, but you can simply do the final step (i.e. the largest size your flask/bottle will fit) if going from a wyeast or white labs pack.

EDIT II: Embed now works

Bryan

Latest posts

Back