Wyeast Pacman Smack Pack busted

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Old-Ned

Reaction score
I just finished my boil, and I"m now cooling the wort. I have 3 packs of Wyeast Pacman I'm about to pitch to a Foreign Extra Stout. OG should be around 1.064. I did not make a starter. I noticed 2 of the 3 packs were swollen, so I investigated the 3rd and noticed it had a hole in the top. Should I pitch all 3 or just the 2?

Just the two. How big is the hole? Did any yeast come out or was it always stored upright? Doesn't sound safe to pitch it IMO, but again, that's just my opinion.

It's been upright since I've had it (about a month or month and a half). I flipped it upside down and it spilled on me. The reason I was going to pitch 3 was mainly because of the date on the bag - 1/12/2012. I think I'd rather take the risk of under pitching than the risk of an infection.

Old-Ned said:
It's been upright since I've had it (about a month or month and a half). I flipped it upside down and it spilled on me. The reason I was going to pitch 3 was mainly because of the date on the bag - 1/12/2012. I think I'd rather take the risk of under pitching than the risk of an infection.

I would think that with a 1.064 beer you would be perfectly fine with two smack packs. I would pitch the two and ditch the one with the hole, or try to take it back to wherever you purchased it from.

Oh.. very easy and all you need is a 2L flask. Save some $ on yeast and buy expired yeast , I pay $1. :cross:

Do you use a stir plate? I guess I could just swirl it every once in a while. :cross:

I have 3 stir plates but you can also just swirl the flask every time you think about it.

Latest posts

Back