Wyeast packs swollen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrodskreet

Reaction score
So I ordered a kit from Northern. I got the "Denny's Wry smile" (Rye IPA) with the Dennys special yeast. Anyway so i got the package in and the yeast pack was swollen, it only had one small ice pack (good info or not IDK). So I put it in the fridge and I contacted them, they replaced it no problem. I get the new one in today and it's also swollen but has 2 ice packs this time. I refrigerate it anyway. Should I try to use the 2packs of yeast hoping that there are enough cells? Or should i contact them again? I am in dire need to brew but if no one thinks that they are usable then I will contact them for a replacement. Replace or try?

Make a starter you will be fine. I have used some fairly old yeast in the past with a starter. Just because the pack is inflated doesn't mean it is bad. We're the ice packs still cool?

They'll probably be fine. You should make a habit of making a starter with liquid yeast, particularly if you're mail ordering it.

Most of the packs of 1450 I get are swollen...no big deal. If it was just room temp warm, I wouldn't worry about that, either. For that beer you want to make a 2 qt. starter. Do it 5-7 days bfore brewing, let it ferment out, cold crash it for a day or two, then decant the spent wort and pitch the slurry.

I'd go ahead and follow his advice^^^

After all, his name is on your beer kit and yeast packs.

This is exactly why many homebrew stores don't like to carry Wyeast - some packs inflate by themselves, and customers think they are no good. Some packs don't inflate even when smacked, and people think they are no good. Wyeast makes fantastic yeasts - Denny's included - but their gimmicky packaging is just such a logistical nightmare to deal with, especially considering how low the profit margin on liquid yeast can be.

/rant off.

Wait, don't you want a swollen packet? Doesn't that mean the yeast are alive?

I know it was premature, but hey sometimes even the best of us get off a little early.

This is exactly why many homebrew stores don't like to carry Wyeast - some packs inflate by themselves, and customers think they are no good. Some packs don't inflate even when smacked, and people think they are no good. Wyeast makes fantastic yeasts - Denny's included - but their gimmicky packaging is just such a logistical nightmare to deal with, especially considering how low the profit margin on liquid yeast can be.

/rant off.

+1, this is (part of) the reason my LHBS is now exclusively carrying White Labs for it's liquid yeast...

biochemedic said:
+1, this is (part of) the reason my LHBS is now exclusively carrying White Labs for it's liquid yeast...

So the buyer has no way to tell what condition the yeast is? Not that smacking is fool proof but it is a smart idea and includes nutrients and for most strains more cells than a vial

doctorRobert said:
So the buyer has no way to tell what condition the yeast is? Not that smacking is fool proof but it is a smart idea and includes nutrients and for most strains more cells than a vial

If you use liquid yeast, starters should be a part of your process. Period.

Smack pack swelling is a poor indicator of anything especially of you received it in that condition. Even the smallest starter for liquid yeast will give you definitive information as to it's health and with enough lead time to actually do something about it if the news is not so good.

I like both Wyeast and White labs mainly for the strains they have isolated but if your using liquid yeast ( especially mail-order ) and not doing starters the day before brew day, you are rolling the dice.

Brewskii said:
If you use liquid yeast, starters should be a part of your process. Period.

Smack pack swelling is a poor indicator of anything especially of you received it in that condition. Even the smallest starter for liquid yeast will give you definitive information as to it's health and with enough lead time to actually do something about it if the news is not so good.

I like both Wyeast and White labs mainly for the strains they have isolated but if your using liquid yeast ( especially mail-order ) and not doing starters the day before brew day, you are rolling the dice.

Why? Because some guy on an internet radio show told you so?

You don't always need a starter. Some people actually brew session beers and a starter could be over pitching or be another way tointroduce contamination. Also some people prefer to pitch multiple vials.

I've gotten at least third every time I've entered my hefe into a competition. I don't make starters for them. the results speak for themselves.

I used an expanded wyeast pack for my last brew and it worked just fine; I did have to releive a little pressure by poking a pinhole in order to get the nutrient sack to break insisde, once popped it swelled like normal, and nothing was contaminated.

I was very worried like you when it arrived in the mail, I called Midwest and they assured me everything was fine.

I would not be concerned.

we have 2 very good HBS here in Eugene. It used to be that one carried only Wyeast and the other only WhiteLabs. The latter has now switched to Wyeast exclusively after having repeated problems with WhiteLabs yeast. Just wanted to show there are 2 sides to every coin....

doctorRobert said:

You don't always need a starter. Some people actually brew session beers and a starter could be over pitching or be another way tointroduce contamination. Also some people prefer to pitch multiple vials.

I've gotten at least third every time I've entered my hefe into a competition. I don't make starters for them. the results speak for themselves.

Why? Because "Even the smallest starter for liquid yeast will give you definitive information as to it's health and with enough lead time to actually do something about it if the news is not so good."

Yes, I just quoted myself because you seemed to have missed it the first time. Naturally, this is my opinion. YMMV.

Why? Because "Even the smallest starter for liquid yeast will give you definitive information as to it's health and with enough lead time to actually do something about it if the news is not so good."

Yes, I just quoted myself because you seemed to have missed it the first time. Naturally, this is my opinion. YMMV.

The following is not intended to be directed to Brewskii, but I'm just offering a different opinion for others who are new to brewing:

I'm not saying starters are bad, I'm just saying, it's not always the best advice to ALWAYS reccomend a starter. There is no way to guage yeast health unless one actually has the capability to count cells or count cell growth - even with a starter. What many people think is yeast at the bottom, is actually break material. For me at least, yeast usually doesnt even settle out in a starter until is chilled.

Even the smallest starter can introduce containination. Unless you allow for a full week or have a stir plate- a starter is basically useless. There is little cell growth and limited activity in 24 hours and there is no way to guarantee the yeast is active in that little time unless you get a krausen, which is unusual in a starter - and even then you dont have time to allow the yeast to settle out. Unless you can allow a full week, I'd reccomend not making a starter and to instead pitch multiple vials.

If you're doing a small beer, and your sanatation isn't not impeicable (which most home brewers are not, despite what they think), you're better off without a starter. Sometimes pitching multiple vials can also be a better option than a starter, especially if you dont have stir plate or a full week to grow yeast.

Starters are great if you want to save a few bucks and are brewing a high OG beer, but it's not necessarily going to brew better beer than pitching multiple vials.

Agreed... Not all beers require starters. You can pitch liquid directly and eliminate the need for a starter. I think it is very hard to eliminate all viable yeast from any commercially available source, but , it can and does happen.
I do starters so I know that what I have is viable before I pitch it and because I believe that it ensures healthy culture prior to pitching into your wort.

Agreed... Not all beers require starters. You can pitch liquid directly and eliminate the need for a starter. I think it is very hard to eliminate all viable yeast from any commercially available source, but , it can and does happen.
I do starters so I know that what I have is viable before I pitch it and because I believe that it ensures healthy culture prior to pitching into your wort.

AFAIAC, any beer over 1.040 OG will benefit from a starter. That's my experience. Since I can't recall the last time I made a beer of 1.040 or less, I always make starters.

doctorRobert said:

Hefeweizen are supposed to be under pitched:)

Why is it that people think just because their beer fermented there is no need for a starter?

Yes your beer will ferment, but how much better will your beer be if you take the time to properly pitch the correct amount of yeast. If there was truly no need to make a starter than people like Jamil with Mr Malty and Chris White with the book "yeast" and owner of White labs would not be preaching about the need to make a starter and utilize proper pitching rates for making beer,
I'm totally with Denny, I make starters for every beer I brew, it takes very little time, ensures viability as well as pitching rate and the beer is better for it.

As for wyeast products and packaging I've never had a problem with any strain regardless of whether it's swollen, hot, cold, whatever, they all ferment as a starter, grow as wanted and make great beer!

Thanks everyone for the replies. It seems to me the general consensus is to try it. Since I have 2 packs I'll probably just pitch it and not make a starter since I really dont have the room, DME, or extra equipment.

Latest posts

Back