Wyeast - not much in there!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

supermoth

Reaction score
Today was the first time I used a Wyeast smack pack. When it came time to pitch I was surprised how little liquid was actually inside. I feel like it was less volume than a White Labs vial, and a thinner slurry too. Has anyone else been surprised by this?

Yes, it swelled nicely. Passedpawn, 15ml sounds like what I saw. Thanks for the info. I'm sure it'll be fine, I guess I was just surprised that there wasn't more in there!

Yes, it swelled nicely. Passedpawn, 15ml sounds like what I saw. Thanks for the info. I'm sure it'll be fine, I guess I was just surprised that there wasn't more in there!

Nope, that's it! That's why it's always recommended to make a starter when using liquid yeast (White Labs or Wyeast). 100 billion cells is barely enough even for a 1.040 beer.

But it's not nearly as solid as the 30-50mls of thick, goopy slurry that comes out of a White Labs vial!

I'm sure it's been discussed here before, but it makes me wonder why "direct-pitch" liquid yeast manufacturs don't go ahead and put in a few more billion cells so that people could actually safely direct-pitch.

I'm sure it's been discussed here before, but it makes me wonder why "direct-pitch" liquid yeast manufacturs don't go ahead and put in a few more billion cells so that people could actually safely direct-pitch.

Because most homebrewers are going to pitch a vial or a smack pack and be done with it. So if they put more cells in for those of us who care about pitch counts, they would deter purchases from those who don't, since the packs/vials would be more expensive.

At least that's my theory.

Because most homebrewers are going to pitch a vial or a smack pack and be done with it. So if they put more cells in for those of us who care about pitch counts, they would deter purchases from those who don't, since the packs/vials would be more expensive.

At least that's my theory.

I would bet that the biggest expense for Wyeast or White is packaging and maintaining the lab. Letting the yeast go for one more generation (double the cells) would take an extra day at most, a few more nutrients and require a slightly bigger package. Liquid yeast already commands a premium price, and those who don't want to pay it just use dried yeast.

I don't have a microscope to look so we'll have to ask passedpawn, but White Labs also says they have 100 billion cells at the most.

I've never used White Labs yeast.

I have some yeast that I saved straight from the pouch, I'll take a pic tomorrow and post. You'll see what I mean. It's like a tokyo subway car on that slide.

I've never used White Labs yeast.

I have some yeast that I saved straight from the pouch, I'll take a pic tomorrow and post. You'll see what I mean. It's like a tokyo subway car on that slide.

That's what the yeasts must feel like when they ride up and down in the carboy on their own CO2 bubbles!

Much more and video here: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/pics-yeast-under-my-new-scope-273342/index6.html#post3899623

400x, color screwed up on my camera (it's not purple!)

Wyeast_1762_400x.jpg

Latest posts

Back