Wyeast Abbey (1214) vs Abbey II (1762) vs Trappist (3787)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Soft Underbelly

Reaction score
So I've been digging round the forum for the last couple days trying to get a handle on these 3 yeasts. I plan to brew either a Dubble or Quad this weekend - something dark and boozy. I've read up a bit on the Wyeast site and it seems like these are pretty similar - Abbey having spicy notes, Abbey II being called out for its use in strong dark ales and Trappist being a good versatile strain for multiple Belgians.

Is there anyone out there who has experience with all three and can opine on the relative virtues of each. I was leaning Trappist, but now I'm not so sure....

i havent used 1762 but did few split batches and fermented with 3787 and 1214, each case i prefere 3787

I find 1214 the most fruity. 3787 is slightly less fruity and slightly cleaner. For me it is a toss up between the two depending if I want more fruit or slightly less. Both very nice yeasts.

I find 1762 the least fruity and the alcohol taste is more prominent. Also you have to watch the temp on1762 more closely, because if it gets too hot too fast it develops fusels. There is a little more temperature leeway with the 1214 and 3787.

They all make good beer.

For reference 1214 is the Chimay strain, 3787 is the Westmale strain and 1762 is the Rochefort strain. So if you want to get a good grip on the flavor pick up some of these brews.

I made a BDSA with the 1214 strain. It's in secondary right now and sitting at about 12%. The yeast took this monster down to 1.010 and the flavor is very typical belgian. Very fruity but very good. I highly recommend this yeast strain. Slow to start but make sure you have a blow off tube when this stuff gets going

Beergolf, Great summary. Thanks! I love all those beers though I can't remember the last time I had Rochefort.

CU, I'd love to hear more about the BDSA, care to shre the recipe? I've been browsing the recipe database and found a couple interesting ones but nothing I'm dedicated to yet.

I made a BDSA with the 1214 strain. It's in secondary right now and sitting at about 12%. The yeast took this monster down to 1.010 and the flavor is very typical belgian. Very fruity but very good. I highly recommend this yeast strain. Slow to start but make sure you have a blow off tube when this stuff gets going

I also recently made a BDSA with 1214. It is also in secondary right now. It took the beer from 1.090 to 1.015 in about a week. That is pretty darn good attenuation for a BIG extract batch. It had steady blowoff thru the tube and into the blowoff bucket for 3 solid days before it slowed down enough for me to switch to an airlock. Smells awesome, but have not tasted it yet. That stuff is some SERIOUS yeast.

Yea for sure. I based it off the westvyllean 12 clone pious new world.

16# pils
1#caramunich
.5#biscuit
.3# aromatic
.25# special b
.2# chocolate
2# d180
1# cane sugar

8.5 aau northern brewer @60
1.2 aau hallertaur hersbrucker @20
2.5 aau stryian goldings @20

Mashed 2hrs at 148

Boiled 90 mins

Polboy, what is it you like about the 3787 or dislike about the 1214?

Im not very good at dissecting flavors so lets start with the numbers
3787 always attenuates better in my hands, difference is very small but consistent (ie last two beers fg 1.006 vs 1.007 for belgian double and 1.009 vs 1.013 for BDS) and i like by belgians dry as possible (except small blond i guess).
For the flavors and aroma i simply detect stronger "belgian" character (but nothing over the top) in beers fermented with 3787 also i feel that with this strain i get more balanced beer, its like flavors are blended better when compared to 1214 (this observation is based mainly on 3 months old BDS). Sorry i cant describe it better, i should probably take some sensory classes.
I agree with beergolf that both are nice yeasts, i just prefer 3787

Back