Wyeast 3711 appreciation thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
8 lbs Pilsner (2 Row) Bel (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 70.7 %
2 lbs Munich Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 2 17.7 %
12.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 3 6.6 %
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L (120.0 SRM) Grain 4 4.4 %
1.0 oz Chocolate Wheat Malt (550.0 SRM) Grain 5 0.5 %
0.50 oz Centennial [10.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 6 19.2 IBUs
0.50 oz Centennial [10.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 7 3.8 IBUs
1.0 pkg French Saison (Wyeast Labs #3711) [50.28 Yeast 8 -

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Light Body, Batch Sparge

You take the above wort and add one gallon of apple cider for an FG of about 60.

The resulting beer was bad, mostly because of the cider. It gave it a wine character I found to be extremely gross. The whole thing tastes like a bad Belgian dubbel.

I think this beer would work much better with blackberries. My friend made a blackberry saison that won 2nd BoS at a local comp recently, and it was delicious.

So are you blending the cider and beer together, adding unfermented juice to the wort then pitching, adding juice to secondary, or something else? Maybe you could make a few different 1-gallon batches of cider with different juices/blends and 3711 and find the one that tastes best.

Other option would be to let it age for a while. Not necessarily practical for a small-scale professional brewing operation, but for a homebrewer it shouldn't be too difficult.

Ooo, also, maybe it's the juice combined with the 120. 120 is some strong juju and can give a winey character (to me anyway), especially, I imagine, in concert with apple juice.

So are you blending the cider and beer together, adding unfermented juice to the wort then pitching, adding juice to secondary, or something else? Maybe you could make a few different 1-gallon batches of cider with different juices/blends and 3711 and find the one that tastes best.

Other option would be to let it age for a while. Not necessarily practical for a small-scale professional brewing operation, but for a homebrewer it shouldn't be too difficult.

I added unfermented juice during chilling at 165 degrees.

Ooo, also, maybe it's the juice combined with the 120. 120 is some strong juju and can give a winey character (to me anyway), especially, I imagine, in concert with apple juice.

The recipe is derived from my pumpkin ale which is a very malty amber ale and seemed like a good base for this recipe. I don't think it's the 120 that is the problem. I just don't think this concept worked out.

I already know that blackberries and munich malt are a really nice combo so I think I make something like that work.

Back