Wyeast 3333, is it normally a beast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jleiii

Reaction score
I'm working on a hefe house beer that I plan to use with various additions once I 'perfect' it. When I was looking at yeast the LHBS suggested I try the 3333 strain as it is very flocculent. Since I did not have much experience with any specific strain, I figured I've give it a try.

I fired up a basic German Hefe recipe, and pitched the 3333 from a starter on a Sunday night, at 62F. This was the first batch in my new Fast Fermenter. It's not a big beer, might have been 1.052 OG.
By Monday evening it was moving along nicely, and up a degree or so. When I got home Tuesday night I found that the yeast had one huge party all day long, and the 2.4 gal of headspace was filled with krasuen and it was oozing out of the airlock and running down the sides into a tray below. The temp was at 67. I grabbed a blowoff and got it in place. By Wednesday it was pretty much done, and there was about 24oz of clean yeast slurry in the collection ball. I bottled it 2 weeks from the start, and quick carbed a 20oz soda bottle, which tasted pretty good. I'm not a huge hefe fan, so not sure how it compares. I'll let my hefe fans make that call in a couple weeks.

I looked for feedback on HBT about the 3333, and did not find a whole lot. Has anyone found it to be a very aggressive strain? Any thoughts on it vs other german hefe strains? Any concerns that it fermented out in less than 3 days?

FF_hefe.jpg

Very flocculent top cropping yeast, this is the cause for needing a blowoff tube it's normal. It's my favorite weizen strain, makes a great cristalweizen or dunkel.

Back