Wyeast 2206 pitch and fermentation temperatures

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mschoenn

Reaction score
Brewed a German pilsner yesterday. Used the Wyeast 2206 smack pack. It was swelled up nice and was at room temperature before I pitched. Hard to get to 50F quickly in south Louisiana, so I pitched the pack in the wort at 76F and put it in the keezer set at 50F. It's been 19 hours and there's no activity. Is this normal for a lager and this yeast? Only one yeast pack with no starter. Worried I may have severely underpitched. Any suggestions?

You severely underpitched. Especially if the pack was old. All in all, if your sanitation is ok, you may be fine. But you will likely see activity on day 3.

Thanks giraffe for the reply. Would adding more 2206 help or hurt anything? Earliest I would be able to add more yeast would be tomorrow, 48 hours after I pitched the first pack.

My guess would be that it would be helpful, can't think of any scenario that it wouldn't be as long as you keep thing sanitary. But then again I am a newby so others possibly could have a better reply

Also, nothing wrong with letting your very get down to temp overnight and then pitch in the morning when the temp is spot on.

Should I go with the same yeast 2206? And how many should I pitch? According to mrmalty calculator I should have used about 4 total with no starter. Do I need to add 3 more?? 48 hours after the initial pitch.

I mean more packs arent going to be that effective without o2 to reproduce which is gone from the wort. ( it wont hurt, but 3 packs are expensive) At this point, id let it ride. Give it 4 weeks, and make a starter for lagers in the future. If you see nothing by day 4, maybe id pitch 2 packs of rehydrated dry lager yeast. That will be cheaper and have a o2 reserve built in.

Back