Wyeast 2112 aka my first "lager"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StusBrew

Reaction score
Hey all,
So going to try a steam beer. Using the California lager from Wyeast. Went through brew day just fine. Pitched yeast. And being the creepy guy that I am; had to go watch to see if the yeast were "active". Nothing! Ever since I went all-grain, I've been making yeast starters and typically things get going without 3 hours and positively going within 12 hours!
So I wait another hour (4 hours after pitching). I decide to give it a swirl. A big push of a gas came out right in my face. I decided it was fine! The odor of sulphur reminded me this is a lager strain and I don't yet have experience with a lager strain of yeast. things were going.
I was expecting a more milder fermentation. By 24 hours my airlock wasn't cutting it. Had to get blow-off tubing on it! It's now been about 48 hours since pitching.
Coolest place I have is in basement and hovering about 61 - 62 degrees F.
I'm excited about this one.
I hit everything on the button this time. Well, I've been hitting gravity numbers and volumes, etc. It's the mash temps. having trouble with. Ws going for 150. Ended up at 152. Usually been undershooting by like 5 degrees!
Though, thinking. Being a steam beer or California Common style, and using a lager yeast: diacytl rest at end of fermentation??

I wish you would have gotten some response to this... I have many of the same questions.
I know its an old post but any insight would be greatly appreciated. :)

I have a batch with 2112 just over a week old. There was very little activity for the first 16 hours, then I started getting foam on the edges, and by 24 hours in had a light layer of kreusen. I never got a very thick layer, but what I got was consistent for the first 6 days. I still have a very prominent raft on top, and lots of dregs clinging at the waterline. Bubbles are consistently 6 - 10 seconds, so I'm going to let it sit 'till next Sunday. OG (1.060) dropped to 1.017 yesterday, and I'll check it again before I bottle.

I smelled prominent sulfur notes days 2 thru 4, but now it just smells like beer.

This is straight out of the yeast bag -- no starter -- and ferment temps have ranged from 68 to 72. Yes, I know that's high for this strain, but I don't have a reliable method of maintaining a lower temperature. I figure anything's better than Bud Light, right?

I can't say I know a whole lot about this strain or even lagers. My batch has been lagering about a week. It tastes decent but had not clarified as of 4 days ago. I expect to wait awhile at this step but so far the taste was between a blonde ale and a lager.
I made a starter with this one and it still started slowish. It did form a thick krausen after 48 hours or so. My temps were kept at from 60-65 for the most part due to this being stored on a grarage floor. Now I have room in a kegerator/fermentation chamber, so I might try for a traditional lager yeast soon.

Based on what I have read, you may just have to give it more time with the low pitch rate but your temps might keep that yeast busy. Let me know how it turns out!

Cheers

Sounds like you're on track for a good batch. 2112 is technically an ale yeast anyway, so similarity to blonde ale is not coincidental. IIRC, the Wyeast notes warn against taking 2112 down too cold.

Sounds like you're on track for a good batch. 2112 is technically an ale yeast anyway, so similarity to blonde ale is not coincidental. IIRC, the Wyeast notes warn against taking 2112 down too cold.
did you try this yet? Mine is pretty excellent. Definitely pleases the wife as it tastes like a cross between 2 of her favorite 3 styles (blonde ale and american lager).

So, I have a lager going right now, using Wyeast 2112. I pitched 2 packs at about 70 degrees or so...then lowered my temp ...got down to 54 degrees (f). Activity started about 12hrs later & continued for about a week, SG was 1.050. After a week, gravity was at 1.021 & this is when I started my D-Rest. The rest was about 4 days. I then transferred to my secondary & proceeded with the cold crash. Right now it is at 36 degrees, & I will keep it at that temp until about mid May. Then its bottling time. I hope that this info will help someone else trying to figure out their first lager.
Cheers!

Back