Wyeast 1728

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paloaf

Reaction score
Going to brew my annual wee heavy with Wyeast 1728. I typically grow up my yeast from a fresh pack but I'd like to repitch this time. Does anyone have any good recommendations for a lower gravity beer using this yeast? Particularly, anything that's not just the average Scottish 60/70/80?

I've never used that specific strain, but from the Wyeast site looks like it is a neutral/clean fermentor, and you could use it for just about any style you wanted that doesnt have a large yeast driven character. If you're using it as a step-up culture I would keep the OG below 1.050 though, so you have a good amount of healthy yeast. Add yeast neutrient and oxygenate well so your yeast are in good shape for the next, larger OG, beer.

Well, I WAS going to suggest a 60 or 70 shilling simply because it's a good gravity for a bunch of yeast; virtually no hops to muck up the yeast; and if you keep the break material out of the fermenter you'd be looking at really clean yeast for your wee heavy...... but since you don't want a scottish ale...

I've brewed a couple american ambers with 1728 and it worked nicely. It will leave a few extra points of gravity behind so either mash low; use some simple sugar; ramp the heat towards the end of fermentation; or balance the sweet with a few extra IBUs. Of a combination just to hit the gravity you're aiming for. You could use it for many styles as long as you keep this in mind.

It's a great yeast for a crystal clear beer and if fermented cool it will give a very clean taste - just give it a couple/few weeks to completely finish up.

How about a simple Golden Promise SMASH beer? I did one last summer and it was really, really good. I mashed way low, like 149, and added a small amount of hops at 60. I bet 1728 would be really good.

I've been reading a lot about different yeasts in an attempt to choose a new house yeast and I've settled on this one. I've only used it once so far, but I think it's pretty versatile. I picked it because I like malty English style beers but wanted to be able to do cleaner hoppier American styles too. If you want lower gravity I would maybe do an English mild or bitter. Or you could always just do a smash with your favorite base malt and hop. Like I said though you have a pretty wide range of options.

I've used this a few times and really like it. The American pale ale I made dropped clear in a few days. It did have some sweetness and ester profile in the aroma. For me it came across as apricot but not as much in the taste. It's a great yeast and will continue to use it.

This past summer/early fall, I did an English series with 1728. Started with a Nut Brown, moved up to a Porter and finished off with a Wee Heavy. Worked well in all 3, and it is one excellent active fermenter. So good in fact that I decided to keep it going and used it in a Graf. I'm very impressed with this yeast and might just keep it around as a 'house British' strain.

Back