Wyeast 1728 A Slow Starter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AZCoolerBrewer

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So my Scotch partigyle is finally bubbling away happily, but the very first signs of life were at 24 hours. Normally I use dry yeast and am used to seeing the first bubbles in my blow off glass after 4-8 hours. With this partigyle I poured my wort onto the yeast cakes of a DME/Nelson Sauvin beer that I made and expected to see it take off right away like I am used to with dry yeast, but it was much more like when I pitched the smack pack into my SHaME beer, which took 36 hours before I saw the first bubble. With the SHaME beer I figured that poor treatment of the yeast during shipment may have accounted for the lag time.

But then my yeast cake beers took forever to start as well. The big beer didn’t bubble until 36 hours and the small beer took 24 hours. The yeast calculator for the big beer, 1.120, was just a little over-pitched for the amount of slurry I had and the small beer 1.042 was quite over-pitched, so I figured it would take off right away.

So has anyone else had an experience with this yeast (Wyeast 1728) being slow to begin bubbling? Or perhaps the yeast has an aerobic phase when wort is poured onto yeast cakes just like if you used a smack pack without a starter? I did not use a starter for either my SHaME or my partigyle beer.

Most of my beers take 24 to 36 hours to show bubbles. That could be because I have a slight leak and the CO2 is escaping elsewhere instead of bubbling the airlock.

Back