Wyeast 1469 - Temperature

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PittsburghBrewer

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm going to be brewing Northern Brewer's Innkeeper extract kit with Wyeast 1469 (West Yorkshire Ale). I know that some amount of fruity esters are characteristic for ales made with this yeast. According to the website, the optimal temperature range is 64-72F.

When trying to achieve an appropriate level of esters, do people typically start at a low temperature and ramp up to a higher temp - perhaps around 68-70 internal - towards the end of fermentation? Or should the beer be kept at a higher temperature throughout fermentation?

Because my temperature control capabilities are decent but not fantastic, I'd rather err on the side of too little in the way of esters rather than too much.

Thanks!

I have used this strain a bunch in the Innkeeper and similar recipes and I ferment it starting at 66-67 and hold it at about 68 until done fermenting and then warm it up a bit, to about 70 for a few days to clean up. Some esters, but still has an interesting mineral finish IMO.

I know this is an old thread, and this advice isn't likely to be useful to the OP, but I use 1469 a lot and have for many years.

I typically ferment starting at 63F with a big starter and pure O2 oxygenation. At 4 days I raise the temp to 66F, then another degree for the next couple days up to 68F, then hold it there until the 10 day mark and cold crash.

My philosophy is that if you want esters, use a yeast that produces esters regardless, no need to stress it or do any funny business. This yeast absolutely fits that bill. Ferment it like you're going for a clean, neutral fermentation. What you'll get are the esters this yeast has been cultivated for while not throwing any unwanted flavors that will only muddy the overall impression.

When I pitch from a started made from newly purchased yeast the yeast seems to act "normal." When I harvest and pitch what is likely even more yeast than I get from a large starter it seems like it has the everlasting krausen some people report. Cold crashing takes care of that.

Back