Wyeast 1272 Didn't Ferment All the Way Out

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JamesonFan

Reaction score
I brewed a Goose Island 312 Clone about a month ago as a BIAB, no sparge, and fermented with Wyeast 1272, a yeast I've used a few times and never had any problems. I hit my target OG of 1.045, let it ferment for almost a month at 68 degrees, and something never felt right. When I activated the smack pack, it never really inflated (I know it doesn't necessarily have to, but every other one I've had has inflated), and when I pitched it, a lot of the yeast was still in the little plastic bag inside the packet. I did end up getting that into the beer, but I should have figured it was going to be a bust.

It never really got going, and I never took a FG reading at any point after I thought fermentation was done until after I cold crashed it and got it ready for kegging. And it read 1.027 was the FG. It was supposed to get down to a 1.013. A solid 2.36% ABV beer there.

Problem is, I already force carbed it. I just figured I was going to accept the incomplete fermentation. Now I feel like I might have been able to save it if I brought it back to room temperature and repitched yeast. But now that it's carbonated, can I pitch a second packet of yeast and then rack it to another keg in a week or so?

I really don't want to throw this beer out, so I was wondering if there is anything that I can do to salvage it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Did you use an Hydrometer or a Refractometer for the FG reading? Refractometers read high in the presence of alcohol.

If you used a Refractometer, it is probably fine. And there are calculators on-line that can convert the reading.

If you used an Hydrometer, that is high FG. Depending on the reason for the high FG, it may not be possible to lower it much more.

Did you use an Hydrometer or a Refractometer for the FG reading? Refractometers read high in the presence of alcohol.

If you used a Refractometer, it is probably fine. And there are calculators on-line that can convert the reading.

If you used an Hydrometer, that is high FG. Depending on the reason for the high FG, it may not be possible to lower it much more.

I used a hydrometer. I had a feeling it was probably a lost cause. Hell, it still might be drinkable. Thanks for the help.

Latest posts

Back