Wyeast 1187 Slow Fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

specialp

Reaction score
So this past weekend I was brewing a Flying Dog Doggystyle (Pale Ale) Clone and the recipe called for Wyeast 1187 Ringwood Ale. I've never used this type of yeast before but the package calls for the yeast to pitch for 3 hours.. I, being rather impatient, only let it pitch for 2 and poured it into my carboy for fermentation. Let it sit for over 24 hours and there was no activity. I put a fermentation lock on it Monday Night and I came home today with still little activity. Prior to brewing this weekend, I did have the yeast in my refrigerator (pretty low temp) for at least 2-3 weeks. Did I kill the yeast? Did I not pitch it for long enough? Or is it just a slow moving yeast? Maybe I'm missing something all together.

I took this photo tonight of the activity I've seen so far. If someone could share some wisdom with me it would be greatly appreciated

carboy with yeast.jpg

What do you mean by saying you pitched it for 2 hours and you were supposed to pitch for 3? What temperature are you fermenting at? The ideal range for this yeast is 64-74 and generally during the aerobic activity the wort will reach a higher temp than ambient which can lead to off flavors. Also there appears to be a slight krausen developing on top of the wort which means it's starting to do its thing. You most likely under pitched, not enough yeast, and it's going to take a while to get going.

1187 is a weird yeast. Unless you have an actively fermenting starter, it will take 48 hours to show any signs of fermentation. Even pre fermentation signs like little bubbles on the surface. With just the smack pack, 96 hours of lag time would not surprise me.

Then it usually has a period where it gets pretty hot and heavy...sometimes though it just slowly chugs along with only a small half inch krausen...but there is a chance it will get very active....absurdly so...i would be concerned about it blowing right out of that carboy in the picturee...id set up a 1" blowoff tube into some sanitizer pronto.

Anyhow, after active fermentation, 1187 seems to take longer than most to work out the last few points of gravity. Giving the carboy a swirl when the bubbling slows is a good idea w this yeast.

On top of all this, it tends to produce a load of diacetyl and allegedly prefers an open fermentation. Unlike some, i do not find the diacetyl to be unmanageable. Now the bright side of the yeast is that it drops clear fast, limiting the need for gelatin or even cold crashing, works great at typical room temperatures, and is really very versatile.

Now ive forgotten the question. If you only pitched the smack pack, give it lots of time, set it up with a blowoff if possible and keep it inthe primary at least 10 days longer than you think that you strictly must. Probably 3 weeks should do it. Start out fermentation in the mid to upper 60s and once the krausen starts to fall, take it all the way up to the lower or even mid 70s.

Those familiar with this semi legendary yeast strain may scratch their heads at some of my meandering on the topic as they at times contradict ringwood ale yeast lore, but these have been my observations with this strain.

What do you mean by saying you pitched it for 2 hours and you were supposed to pitch for 3? What temperature are you fermenting at?.
When s/he said pitch, i took it to mean that is how long he let the smack pack swell. Definitely some terminology confbsion

Yes I should have clarified on the swell/pitching. I've never used this yeast before but as long as I didn't mess anything up and time is all it needs that works for me. Thanks for the help

1187 is a weird yeast. Unless you have an actively fermenting starter, it will take 48 hours to show any signs of fermentation. Even pre fermentation signs like little bubbles on the surface. With just the smack pack, 96 hours of lag time would not surprise me.

Then it usually has a period where it gets pretty hot and heavy...sometimes though it just slowly chugs along with only a small half inch krausen...but there is a chance it will get very active....absurdly so...i would be concerned about it blowing right out of that carboy in the picturee...id set up a 1" blowoff tube into some sanitizer pronto.

Anyhow, after active fermentation, 1187 seems to take longer than most to work out the last few points of gravity. Giving the carboy a swirl when the bubbling slows is a good idea w this yeast.

On top of all this, it tends to produce a load of diacetyl and allegedly prefers an open fermentation. Unlike some, i do not find the diacetyl to be unmanageable. Now the bright side of the yeast is that it drops clear fast, limiting the need for gelatin or even cold crashing, works great at typical room temperatures, and is really very versatile.

Now ive forgotten the question. If you only pitched the smack pack, give it lots of time, set it up with a blowoff if possible and keep it inthe primary at least 10 days longer than you think that you strictly must. Probably 3 weeks should do it. Start out fermentation in the mid to upper 60s and once the krausen starts to fall, take it all the way up to the lower or even mid 70s.

Those familiar with this semi legendary yeast strain may scratch their heads at some of my meandering on the topic as they at times contradict ringwood ale yeast lore, but these have been my observations with this strain.

When you say 3 weeks should do it, you mean overall right? So 1.5 weeks in the primary and another 1.5 in the secondary? All depending on activity of course

When you say 3 weeks should do it, you mean overall right? So 1.5 weeks in the primary and another 1.5 in the secondary? All depending on activity of course

I was assuming you were primary-only, but 1.5/1.5 should work fine. maybe a little short for the primary. 2 weeks total in there would probably be better. don't be in a rush to get it out of the primary. this yeast produces diacetyl, and the more yeast contact the better until that is cleaned up.

Back